Where to find a good timer?

jc74

To be more specific, is there a timer available that can control multiple devices (sort of like a power strip where each outlet can be programmed separately)?
I see that Aqualight 'sort of' makes one, but it's strictly night/day (when the day outlets are on, the night ones are off, and vice versa). That's close, but not what I'm looking for because I don't want certain devices turning off as another turns on.

bigb

Lowes has this, four plugs are controlled with the timer four are always on. 18.98
Item #: 80450 Model: TM08DHBL

fishy7

I had the same issue, I installed 2 inwall timers that control the top part of the outlets. If you do a search on the web for in-wall timers you will get a few places that come up. The decent ones are from Low's but, if you want more of a classier look use ones that are made by Levitron(SP?). Both work great and you never have worry about resetting if the electricity goes out since they have battery back-up for up to 10 hours.
Good luck...

chipmaker

Coralife Digital timer is pretty decent but its still not what I would like in a timer.........then again they have a dual timer one as well.....A lot of folks prefer mechanical to electronic controlled, but personally I think the electronic controlled devices are much more substantial overall. One way or the other mechanical or electronic, I just wished they would space the plug in's further apart to facilitate wall warts.

W

wrz0170

Hi JC,
I know this is an expensive option, but take a look at the Aquacontroller by Neptune Systems. They have JR, II, pro and IIIpro. For like $170 you can get the control head the AC Jr., but where it gets a little pricey is the powerstrip(s), probes etc.
Pro
-Each outlet can be programmed. You can input the LON/LAT and there is a seasonal variation for your lighting.
-Control powerheads, wavemaker
-Depending on model, PH, temp, ORP monitor AND control
-Lunar cycle
-You eliminate all those timers, power strips, wavemakers, monitors and controllers, lunar modules. All in one control head and one powerstrip.
Con
price!!
Upfront cost yeah, but long term it will probably save you money and space.

jc74

I've seen in-wall timers but I'm not really sure of their benefit over your average plug-in timer. I'm not exacly sure what an in-wall timer does however...
I can't believe that no one makes a power strip-type timer that can independently control multiple devices. I guess it would be like 6 timers in one (if it had six outlets), but I'd be willing to pay extra to save space. The one pictured above would be perfect if all four outlets could be programmed separately.
I'm trying to control three different devices from one location, but I have no room for three bulky timers.
I already have an extension cord running to my tank because some of my outlets aren't grounded (old wiring).

W

wrz0170

oh, on those Coralife timers, I read where they nearly burnt down a guys house and others who have mentioned that they can get a little warm.

W

wrz0170

JC
No problem. Again, they are a little pricey, but the ability to have total control is really nice, consolidation for space saving and a host of other nice things. I just got mine, so I cannot wait to see what it can do.
I am in no way affiliated with the aquacontroller, but if you decide to get one, there is a way where you can get a really good price. I cannot mention here but if you let me know, I can give you the details.

jc74

I just checked into the Aquacontroller.
Where do you plug in the devices? It says it can control up to 20 devices, but I didn't see any outlets.

W

wrz0170

The AC is the control head. There are two ways to control devices with this system. First is using X-10 modules. They are ok, but I don't trust X-10 too much.
The second is called a DC (Direct Connect) module. These look like a power strip. You can get a DC-4 or a DC-8, 4 or 8 plugs respectively. The module plugs into the control head via phone cable. Actually looks more like an ethernet cable. So if you had a monster of a system, you could daisy chain the DC-8 or DC-4. But that is beauty of the system. It's modular so it can grow when your budget allows.
I just found out that outlet #8 on the DC-8 has an undocumented feature in that it has a "dimmer". Thats where my moon lights will go to simulate the lunar cycle and brightness accordingly. :)

G

guyute

there's one called Reefkeeper that has 8 outlets, all independant, with a digital control pad. not cheap though.. thinking I saw it for $219. googling the name will provide a site.
I just ordered some standard manual timers made by Marineland. I wasn't in the position to drop $200+ on a timer-strip, so I looked elsewhere. the marineland ones are supposed to be strip-friendly, and it looks (from the pic) that the outlet is at the bottom, so the bulk of the timer would be outside of the strip, instead of blocking other outlets. I orderd a couple to check them out. should be here in a few days and I can let you know if they work as advertised. they were $7 each.
I have no probs with the manual ones... I just need to be able to have 3 timers on the same strip without losing the other outlets.

chipmaker

I got sick and tired of adpaters and numerous timers having to be used to get the effects I wanted. Did not have big bucks to spend on one, but had ample time on my hands so I made one, which currently has 4 independantly timer controlled recepticles, and it can be expanded to add probably 3 more. Most timers are either on or off and on the double type whats on now the other plug ins are off etc.....
I used a 24 hour timer assembly(mechanical) fromthe inside of a hot water heater timer I had laying around. Its made by intermatic. I gutted the works out of the metal box it was in and mounted it in an acrylic box I made. Added an extended shaft off the clock faced wheel, to which I added some cams I cut out of plexiglass with various profiles on them to actuate micro switches. The micro swithces are lever type and can be wired NC or NO, and each cam controls a micro switch which controls power to respective recepticles. There is also a ON/OFF or ON/OFF/ON switch wired between micro switch and power feed, so individual items can still be shut off when needed. To keep it as small as possible I used the snap in type recepticles typically found on electronic equipment , and they only require a hole and are pushed into place and held by clips. So far its working fine (been up and running since about 7 pm last night when I got it to the point I could actually put it to use) One timer motor drives the shaft with cams which can easily be recut to obtain various on and off times. The micro switches are all the same size and are ganged together, so it makes the unit much more compact. The cams are slip fit and held in place with a setscrew collar and spacers on a flat on the timer motors extended shaft. Total cost in the thing is less than $10 as I had most of the stuff in scrounge already..........I just have to make a few more various cams for a few more different lighting and powering on / off conditions and probably fine tune some cam profiles to get them closer to the times I want...Actually I want to try and make an adjustable duration cam I came up with after a brainstorming session with my self..
No pics at this time, but will post some eventually. My dialup is extremely slow and uploading or downloading images takes forever anymore.
I now have all my single timers and the coral life timers delegated to my freshwater tanks........90% or better of the internal parts (switches, recepticles, etc came off trashed electronic items like BackUPS, exercise equipment like treadmills etc etc).......I consider myself among the "kings of scrounge"

fish_nooob

I hate bashing or bad mouthing any one company, but the coralife timer...not worth the time or the money. They do get very hot, and the timers stop worrking only after a few months of usage. Coralife timers get a minus 1 on the 1 to 10 scale IMO.