Where to go Diving??

9supratt4

I'm going on a cruise that has diving available at each port. Which ports should I definitely dive at and why??
Aruba
Bonaire
Grenada
Dominica
St. Thomas

dragonzim

Bonaire and Grenada are known for having great diving. As far as I've heard, Aruba isnt that great. Havent heard anything either way about the other sites.

1journeyman

Ive dove Bonaire quite a bit. It's the best diving I've found in the Caribbean (which is to say it doesn't hold a candle to the Pacific but its good...)

ameno

I would definetly do Bonaire, I've dove Aruba (not that great) I would skip it.
Haven't been to the other places

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2912561
Ive dove Bonaire quite a bit. It's the best diving I've found in the Caribbean (which is to say it doesn't hold a candle to the Pacific but its good...)
that about sums it up.
Aruba is a vast open ocean with sand with little color

oceanlover

There are some good spots to dive in Aruba but you must know where to go. Aruba is great for wind surfing though. The island is rather flat and always windy.
St. Thomas has some nice diving but you need to travel a bit. Magdalena Bay is very picturesque but can get crowded and the diving is not phenomenal. You can take the ferry from St. Thomas to St Johns (about a 30 minute passage as I recall) and there is a FABULOUS place to dive there. There are cement markers under the water to guide you. It is the only place I have seen some larger squids. (All the cruise ships can set you up for the transportation to and from St Johns.) However, I must tell you the jewelry shopping in St. Thomas is FABULOUS! I only dive every other time I'm there because the jewelry pricing is very, very low and really excellent quality.
Of course, if you are on a BIG cruise line, where ever you go you will be swamped with tons of people. I like the smaller ships where you can go to smaller islands that aren't overwhelmed.
My two favorite places to dive are (1) the Pacific side of Costa Rica and Panama and (2) Bora-Bora!
Whereever you go, have fun!

valgae

well if you decide to dive in dominica let me know how it was. i have a 7 night dive vacation planned in june.

mantisman51

There is a little island off the NE corner of Puerto Rico called Culebra. It was used for Naval bombing and beach incursions. They haven't used it since the 60's. It has a little town in it with a few hotels(mom and pop sort). it is completely surrounded by reefs and then it drops to 50-300' pretty quick outside the reefs. There is alot of Navy and marine stuff covered in coral. I only got to snorkel, but the diving would be awsome. Also, because it's halfway between PR and St Thomas VI, the beaches can't be beat.