Where to go from here?

kkgaskin90

I think I had an Ich epidemic. Totally my fault. I've moved way to fast and way too stupid. Now I'm paying a hefty price and feel awful. Here's what I lost: 2 Premium Picassos and a Flame Angel. I still have a Blue Green Chromis and a Melanurus Wrasse. From here do I:
Remove the remaining two fish into a QT? I have a 10 gallon with 20 gallon filter and heater. Bare bottomed with a PVC piece. Do I use tank water or new RO water? I have a sponge from the 20g filter in my DT (to gather bacteria), do I take that out and put it in DT or will that cross-contaminate?
Wait for what amount of time? I'm reading everything from 3 weeks to 72 days is the wait period after Ich. I don't want to make another stupid mistake.

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgaskin90 http:///t/395997/where-to-go-from-here#post_3527289
I think I had an Ich epidemic. Totally my fault. I've moved way to fast and way too stupid. Now I'm paying a hefty price and feel awful. Here's what I lost: 2 Premium Picassos and a Flame Angel. I still have a Blue Green Chromis and a Melanurus Wrasse. From here do I: Soory for your loss, I to have felt the bite of ick out break.
Remove the remaining two fish into a QT? I have a 10 gallon with 20 gallon filter and heater. Bare bottomed with a PVC piece. Do I use tank water or new RO water? Use new RO water I have a sponge from the 20g filter in my DT (to gather bacteria), do I take that out and put it in DT or will that cross-contaminate? Use it, this will help filtration, cross-contamination is all ready on fish don't worry.
Wait for what amount of time? I'm reading everything from 3 weeks to 72 days is the wait period after Ich. I don't want to make another stupid mistake. DT need to sit fish less for 6 weeks.
How are you treating your 2 fish with ick? I suggest Hypo or you can do copper both need to be properly done to kill ick but not fish.

kkgaskin90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/395997/where-to-go-from-here#post_3527303
I do recommend hyposalinity. Is your QT already set up and cycled? Are you familiar with hypo?
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/a/hyposalinity
Thanks for the article! It is not set up or cycled. I have a sponge in my DT that can be placed in my QT. I am not familiar with Hypo. I understand the concept and procedure though. Sounds like the consensus is to remove the wrasse and chromis and treat them in the QT. How will I know when they are asymptomatic if I cant tell any visible symptoms? Both are eating well (ravenous, actually) and neither have the whitish look the clowns got. Is there a certain amount of time I should treat (i.e. 4 weeks hypo if I cant tell a difference), wait, leave in QT, etc? Obviously I wont put them (or anything else) in DT for 6 weeks.

kkgaskin90

Also, looking at pictures the clowns appeared to have brookynella-the angel I'm not sure about. It had small white dots that were almost impossible to see. Can brookynella and ich appear simultaneously? All fish ate up until death. The angel I found halfway eaten in the anemone. If brookynella will hypo still work? I'm very confused! I had not added fish in several weeks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No brooklynella does not look like ich. Was the angel covered with the white spots? Do you have a refractometer?

kkgaskin90

The angel wasn't really covered. I could only see very few dots on the tail and fins. The clowns on the other hand looked like they had a whitish film. I do not but can get my hands on one tonight.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It pretty much sounds like ich so you will need to treat your remaining fish to be on the safe side.
You may need to buy a refractometer online unless you have a well stocked fish store locally. In the meantime, start setting up the QT. Use 100% water from your display to set up.

kkgaskin90

Quick thought-since my Melanurus enjoys his sand sleeping, will he be ok in a bare bottomed QT? I've read about putting a tupperware in with sand, but I dont have extra sand laying around. If I were to get sand from LFS (for the wrasse) should I get live sand or...? I'd obviously have to treat with hypo. Thoughts?
I called LFS and explained the situation... they said "just leave them in DT and let nature take it's course..." erm... no.

mr llimpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgaskin90 http:///t/395997/where-to-go-from-here#post_3527324
Quick thought-since my Melanurus enjoys his sand sleeping, will he be ok in a bare bottomed QT? I've read about putting a tupperware in with sand, but I dont have extra sand laying around. If I were to get sand from LFS (for the wrasse) should I get live sand or...? I'd obviously have to treat with hypo. Thoughts? bagged dry sand, the live sand will cause ammonia spike in your QT.
I called LFS and explained the situation... they said "just leave them in DT and let nature take it's course..." erm... no. there goes another LFS giving out bad advise.
Nature is trying to kill your fish. In the Ocean ick is a natural accruing, but in the wild a fish would never be infected by the same ick brood. But in our tanks they no place to go to get away from them, the ick young are hunting in a barrel.

kkgaskin90

My thoughts exactly Mr. Llimpid. Thanks for the advice everyone-it's really appreciated! I have both in QT now - the wrasse doesn't seem happy but hopefully he will settle in :) It's going to be a LONG 6 weeks lol

mr llimpid

Are you hypo'ing you fish, better safe than sorry. Hypo will not harm your fish in short term. Just remember to test for ammonia and the PH will go down during hypo. Good idea to have Amque+ or Prime on hand and have a fresh batch of salt water ready, if ammonia rises. Also have some PH buffer to keep PH up. Good Luck