Where to go?

B

byrdman269

Hello Everyone!
I am trying to prepare for my first salt water reef tank! I have been researching the hobby for about 4 months as well as save up a lot of money. My biggest problem now is finding a website/store that sells tanks (---- had no results). I am specifically looking for a corner tank (~70-75 gal), but I would settle for something else if I cant find one. Does anyone have any ideas?
Part two...Glass or acrylic tank? What is the benefit of acrylic tanks?

jacksonpt

Tanks are probably the one dry good that I would prefer to buy from an LFS. That way you don't have to pay for shipping (probably won't be cheap), and you can see the tank you are getting, i.e. give it a good look over for scratches, etc.. Have you tried any local pet/fish stores?

flydan

Hey,
I would suggest you stay away from corner tanks. They tend to be tall tanks. (Less surface area.) You want long and shallow for a reef. (You lights don't work as well in a tall tank since they lose effectivness the deeper the water.) Also there is the problem of hooking up equipment to the back of a corner tank.
I would also suggest seeing what you're buying. All things concidered, the tank it's self is one of the cheapest things you'll purchase in this hobby so I'd get a new one and buy it locally.
I prefer glass tanks because they don't scratch as easily and you will be scraping your tank on a regular basis.
HTH,
Dan'l

jacksonpt

I agree with flydan, but only to an extent. Corner tanks are generally more difficult to work with when keeping a reef tank, but it certainly can be done. I have a 44g pentagon corner tank that I'm useing for a reef tank with no problems. Granted, it took some effort to get enough light in the tank to keep corals, and water circulation is a nightmare.

My advice is to look into your local reef society if you have one. They will usually have a web site and more often or not a classifieds section in their web site. Or check the classifieds in your local paper.
In my area people are always breaking down their tanks for one reason or another and selling the tank and their contents for good prices. One person was breaking down his tank and selling his live rock full of polyps and mushrooms for $2/pound. I bought an Ultralife float switch + power head + tubing for $30 from a person breaking down his tank. A savings of over $40 from buying that stuff new. I've also gotten snails for $1 a piece, free caulerpa (spelling?) etc.
I think that's the way to go. Plus, when you go to pick up stuff at peoples houses, you get to see their tank setup and maybe get some good advice on reef keeping.
Of course this method takes patience because people aren't always getting rid of what you'd be interested in buying. But a little patience now and constantly checking the ads will save you big $$ in the end! In fact I started this hobby by buying a used, already set up 55 gallon aquarium, 40 lbs live rock, stand, hood, three fish for $300.
Good luck!!