where to place torch coral

mp32

I just bought a torch coral the other day, and I was trying to figure out where to put it. I have T-5 lighting, and was wondering if I should put it high up, or on, or near the ground? Thanks in advance.

cherylann

Where was the coral at the LFS, and what type of lighting was it under, sorry of you already provided that info. Troche corals require medium to high lighting. If I were you I would start with lighting in the mid part of the tank. Do not keep moving it, but try different water flows as they like medium flow and you do not want to shock it by providing too much light. I guess what I am saying is do not make too many changes at one time and allow the coral time to get used to your system, provided that you were given the correct lighting and water parameters.

btldreef

From another site:
"Torch Coral
(Euphyllia glabrescens)
QUICK STATS
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Aggressive
Lighting: Moderate
Waterflow: Medium
Placement: Bottom
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Green, Tan, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
Origin: Australia, Indo-Pacific, Solomon Islands
Family: Caryophylliidae
Polyp Size: LPS - Large Polyp Stony"
That being said. I have T5HO lighting. My torch is a little less than half way in my tank (155G). This is the third tank this torch has been in and in all three it's been in slightly different positions. It's been under PC's and T5HO's, lighting did not seem to make that huge of a difference. What did make a HUGE difference was the water flow. My torch prefers moderately high flow, it has grown almost twice as fast since I put it in a higher flow area of the tank and it's tentacles extend much further. It's a very easy coral to care for and can adapt to a lot of different conditions. If you want it to grow even quicker, feed it mysis or brine once or twice a week.

mp32

Thanks for the help, It was under Halides, but it was far away from them. I may have put it too high I put it at a high point on my rocks, but it is in a lot of flow. If you think I should I will put it on the bottom ort close to it. So far it seems like it is O.K. but don't know how long it takes to start seeing problems.

btldreef

Originally Posted by mp32
http:///forum/post/3167864
Thanks for the help, It was under Halides, but it was far away from them. I may have put it too high I put it at a high point on my rocks, but it is in a lot of flow. If you think I should I will put it on the bottom ort close to it. So far it seems like it is O.K. but don't know how long it takes to start seeing problems.
See how it does. They can adapt to a lot. You may have to lower it. If it's not happy, it won't come out all the way, that'll be the first sign of trouble

florida joe

remember if you put your torch in a high flow area that the sweeper tentacles which will result can and will attack other corals

big

Mine is in the mid-low area of my tank with NEP as lighting )6 T-5's. Occasional feedings of small meaty foods.
This is a medium to low flow area. Just good tentacle flowing. This one started from a single head, now has 15-20 20 heads and a silly Maroon as its continual buddy too.

nycbob

torch is similar to frogspawn. it doesnt need much light at all. if under most t5s, mid placement is best.

mp32

That is a nice set up
. So far it is fully extended it is in a moderate to heavy flow, and I have it high up by itself and there is no other coral nearby. I will try to post some pics. I am debating whether to move it lower. Just tring to find the spot.

big

Originally Posted by mp32
http:///forum/post/3168498
That is a nice set up
. So far it is fully extended it is in a moderate to heavy flow, and I have it high up by itself and there is no other coral nearby. I will try to post some pics. I am debating whether to move it lower. Just trying to find the spot.
Just use care when handling him. They can easily be damaged if the bases of the stalks are bumped.. Good luck with him........
Hey Henry, Thanks I like this guys color too, here is a head close up when contracted some in the morning ..................