Where to snorkel in Mexico, Bahama, or Hawaii

rsd

So, I am asking for help here.
I cannot Dive, or go deeper than 10' without extreme pain.
So... We are looking for either Mexico or hawaii. I want to be able to walk down to the beach, stick my face in the water and be amazed. 2 years ago we stayed at the fairmont Kihea. It was that way. 3 years ago was Playa Del Carmen in Mexico... had to rent a boat to see good snorkeling. Too much of a pain.
Kihea in Maui was amazing... but I'd like to go to the Big Island this time around. Anyone stay there? Recommendations?
If you can recommend a place to stay where we can walk out and snorkel without a charter... please let me know. I'd appreciate it. Otherwise it's back to Kihea... I'll play it safe rather than have another trip with bad snorkeling (Florida).
Thanks again for your suggestions.

spiderwoman

The only place of those that I've gone snorkling was at Cozumel. The Great Maya Barrier Reef is right there and it's the second largest in the world stretching all the way to Honduras. It was pretty nice :)

chadmatthewsdm

the reef in Cozumel is about as good of a shallow reef as you can come by in my opinion. Most of the diving there is only 30-60 feet anyway, and you can easily see the reef in the shallow areas from the surface. I personally have never done a specific snorkeling trip there, but I have dove it many times, and it is a great place.
Chad

1journeyman

Every dive I've been on in Cozumel was a drift type dive where the reef started at 30+ feet and the boat followed to pick you up after the current swept you a mile downstream. We also went as deep as 80-100 feet. Not ideal for snorkeling by any means. I've only been there twice, so I haven't hit all of the dive locations by any means.
I've dove in the Pacific but never Hawaii. I can say, however, that the biodiversity in the Pacific is generally better than the Caribbean.
My best suggestion to you would be to go to your local bookstore and check out some books related to diving in the areas you are considering.

rsd

Thanks guys.
I have snorkeled in 12 places in Cozumel. All of them require a boat or charter.
I have searched a lot of books. most of them refer to diving, or to charters for snorkeling. I'll need surgery if I choose to start diving.
Maui was awesome... we literally walked on the beach... stuck my face in the water and was greeted with sponges, zoas, hard corals and turtles. Within seconds of getting wet.
But I don't want to go back to the same reef over and over. I also am more dedicated than most tours... I like to investigate a reef for 2-3 hours at a time... and love going after dark as well. You get to see the scary creatures then.
I know someone out there has a few favorite spots like I do... I'm hoping someone says :
"Go here! we saw this... did this... and to get there it was like this:".
If not... I'll wing it again or we'll do what we know works. I MUST have at least 1 vacation a year in salt water that is 80deg with corals... this will be the trip this year.

1journeyman

Ya, sounds like our experiences of Cozumel are the same.
Sorry to hear about your pain while diving. Sounds like you would really love it.
Bonaire, in the Caribbean, is considered the best shore diving location in the Caribbean, and one of the best in the world. There's a lot to see there. I've dove the island a few times.
Ive heard Hawaii is great for snorkeling. It may well be you have already been to one of the best spots
?

rsd

I'm starting to think so.
I've been to Italy once, was all geared out and ready to go in Sorrento and several of the islands there... but it rained for 8 days... the Med turned to a muky brown and all charters cancelled. Visibility was 0. My big chance to snorkel in the Mediteraniean Sea... and mother nature had other plans. Sucked.
I have heard that the big island in hawaii is well worth it too from another sight (I posted the same Q). Looks like I may start planning for hawaii.
Anyone go to the bahamas?

T

tizzo

Well, I've snorkeled at many many places. Cozumel has Corona beach which is nice snorkeling, Caymans are OK, Jamaica also nice, but by a landslide, I'd hafta second DZ's Hanauma Bay. Absolutely incredible and all right off shore. I have noticed that "some" of the opening scenes of the mini series "Lost" have the hanauma bay backround, then it quickly shifts to the North Shore. Lemme see if Google Earth shows anything good.
But IMO, that's THE best snorkeling without a boat!
YUP! Hanauma Bay Rd is just (what looks to be north) of the bay. All that grey in the water is reef.
Absolutely beautimus!!

rsd

thanks for all the replies.
I have been checking out Atlantis on Bahamas as well. i think I am down to the Big Island in Hawaii or Atlantis.
I know that Next year will be our 10th anniversary, so we want to go back to Jamaica (Ocho Rios most likely) where we Honeymooned, this will be a short 7 day vacation to inspire me as to what watermovement, diversity, and intense lighting SHOULD look like.
Ahhhh... I can't wait.

spiderwoman

PS I have a very large suitcase that I can squeeze myself into <hint> <hint> and I haven't had a vacation since my twins were born :)