where to start?

awilson500

Hello is there anyone that wants help me start. I Want to get a 12g nano cube What do I need to get after that???

tinysmajick

A reef would include inverts, corals, etc.
Do you have the tank already?
Just my opinion but 12g seems a little small.

michaeltx

I would look for a larger tank get the biggest that you can afford and keep the smaller the tank the less likely you will see trouble coming.
I would check in the nano section though for more of an idea on it plus they can can give you more advice. most of the advice you will get from this side wont work for a smaller tank like that unfortuneatly.
Mike

awilson500

It is small because I dont want to get in over my right away I really Dont Know what I want. What size you recomend??

triga22

If you already are set on the 12 thats ok.
If you are doing a reef then you will have corals fish and inverts.'
What you need
Salt
Testing Eqqupiment
Live Rock
Live Sand
Thermometer
Heater
Net
Clorine Remover
Buffers
Algea Scraper

triga22

Well I would buy dry sand and then at the Local fish store buy a cup of "live sand". This will seed the dry sand any make it live... Its cheaper

tinysmajick

I started with a 55.
I have only been into it for about 8 months and already want bigger.

I definately agree with the sand statement!
Oh, you will also need patience.

michaeltx

the general rule of thinking about FW tanks is that the smaller the easyier to take care of but in saltwater is oposite the larger the tank the easier to take care of. I prefer seeing anyone that is looking to setup a new tank to go atleast a 29 prefered is a 55 gallon. the more water the less likely the little stuff will cause major problems.
1 example evaporation in a small tank it will need to be done daily or up to 2 times aday or the Salinty will flucuate pretty good and that can kill inverts and some fish.
in a 55 gallon you can get away with everyother day with out a major swing in salinty.
That is not saying that cant do a 12 nano though it will just take more research and daily devotion.
pretty much all LS is the same I prefer to get a cup or 2 from fellow reefers for more biodiversity though.
Dont forget good source water preferably RO/DI water to start off right.
Mike

michaeltx

I wouldnt use that sand there is alot of it that will cause problems that you may not see for awhile. I would go with an argonite based sand costs alittle more but well worth it.
Mike