Where's the protein?

whothe

I've had my 65gal reef tank for 3 months now. my protein skimmer has stopped producing pulsating bubbles and thus it is not doing any skimming. The pump works, the mini air bubbles are firing in the chamber just like they did for the first 2 1/2 months while it was producing protein. Is it possible my pump is worn out? Do I need more air? Could my water just be clean enough to where there is no extra protein. This has been going on for a little over a week now. How would I know when it's time for a new one? Thanks!

fishieness

woudl you possibly need to adjust the water level so the foam goes up over the top?
my guess, crappy skimmer. lol

whothe

If my skimmer is in my sump, would I adjust my sump water level? Anyone got any good skimmer they'de like to recommend? Auction site possibly? thanx :happyfish

fishieness

ill give you alist if you tell me what you price range is. and no, if it was working at that water level before, it should be fine. did you recently clean it? what type of skimmer is it?

whothe

up to $200, including pump. I have an aquarium systems skimmer, but I'm not sure much else because I got it when it was 3 months old. I cleaned it after it didn't work for several days, but its been 3 days since then and still no protein.

fishieness

how much space are you able to have for a skimmer? how big is your tank?
im going to spend about 150 for a blemished euroreef skimmer. they are one of the best you can buy from what i hear and im getting 100 bucks off cause its blemmished (which doesnt affect the performance). it still even has the warrentee. i cant post the site, but search online.