Which ballast is the ICE Cap of MH world

enomadra

Oh and thank you so much Silencer for the link. That really clears things up for me on how it will look.
It is amazing to see the difference even in the same spectrum but different manufactures.:eek:

S

silencer

I must admit I am a newbie so there is a good chance I am wrong on this, but I don't think that would work. Going solely off Logans pictures I must imagine that if you used 2 different bulbs spaced apart that it would be very obvious that it was 2 different bulbs. I assume that in my link they had the bulbs close together, but like I said I am just guessing and could be wrong.
Looking at Logans pictures it seems to me that the ushio (which I assume is 10k) is more natural and balanced color than the sunburst (which I believe only comes in 12k?) which has much more blue tint, but still very crisp and white looking. I too am curious if you need other actinic or supplemental lighitng for such a system.
Could you run only 10k ushio bulbs at 175w or 250w and have nothing else? If it doesn't supply enough blue tint light than would 12k sunburst be ok since that has more tint to it or would you still need extra actinic or supplemental lighting to have a proper light cycle and spectrum for a tank?

S

silencer

I found the link that these images came from. I don't know if this is the original source but it has some info about it.
http://www.coralforum.com/reference9.html
The Iwasaki is 6500k, the Ushio is 10k and the Sunburst is 12k. It doesn't say the wattage unfortunately.

gregvabch

nas19320-- do you know from experience that icecap ballasts are not compatible with XM brand bulbs? i'm in the process of building a canopy, and i'm planning on running icecap ballasts with 10,000K XM bulbs. i've never heard that before. do you know what the problem is, or why they won't run them?

golfish

Originally posted by Nas19320
Those pictures are nice but what K are the bulbs and is there actinic supplmentation with them?

Doesn't look like any actinics.....the Ushio and saki's are yelow and the sunburst is bluedim......Actually the 250 watt SB bulbs is kind of nice ( I wouldn't run tho)
Lighing can be talked and argued about for days....no one will win. The IC MH ballast used to be a lousy ballast until they started importing them from Asia. Now then do just OK but I wouldn't use one when you can get a PFO dual ballast for about the same price.

nas19320

Originally posted by gregvabch
nas19320-- do you know from experience that icecap ballasts are not compatible with XM brand bulbs? i'm in the process of building a canopy, and i'm planning on running icecap ballasts with 10,000K XM bulbs. i've never heard that before. do you know what the problem is, or why they won't run them?

The problems only seem to come with the XM DE bulbs and possibly only the 20K's. I haven't really looked into the issue but I would say you will be fine, I'm sure if you had problems one of the two companies would be sure to make things right.

enomadra

OK now anyone have any preference on HQI vs Mogle bulbs??
I would like to hear from people that have used both, and get their likes and dislikes. Please///:D

enomadra

OH I am still unclear on the need for VHO lightning in the Actinic 03 spectrum. I know that if I use HQI I would need to get 03/blue lighting to have the specturm, but I am guessing that if I have the mougle socket lights I could run a bulb that had the full spectrum needed for my corals and not need to have VHO 03/blue lighting right/??:confused:

gmen

ice cap hqi ballasts are not recomended for the xm bulb..either use the aro, coralvue or m58 for the 250w....also this info is for 10k....you can use a pulse start ballast for the 20k.
I would not go by the above pics...they give you a good idea of what the bulb "should" look like....
if you are going to run actinics too you may want a 10k bulb.

gmen

Originally posted by enomadra
OH I am still unclear on the need for VHO lightning in the Actinic 03 spectrum. I know that if I use HQI I would need to get 03/blue lighting to have the specturm, but I am guessing that if I have the mougle socket lights I could run a bulb that had the full spectrum needed for my corals and not need to have VHO 03/blue lighting right/??:confused:

you do not "need" vhos if you do not want to run any other lights but the mh...look into a 12 or 15k bulb

gregvabch

gmen--i've got 2 normal icecap model 175-MH ballasts and 2 mogul base 10,000k XM bulbs. i'm assuming you're talking about double ended bulbs....

golfish

Originally posted by enomadra
OK now anyone have any preference on HQI vs Mogle bulbs??
I would like to hear from people that have used both, and get their likes and dislikes. Please///:D

I have used both DE's and mogul base...When I used DE's the best bulbs out were Ushio's and AB, both 10K's, They were the exact same. IMO, supplemental bulbs are a waste of money if your running MH's. If I were you I'd run a single HQI ballast and a DEHQI AB 20K bulb

gmen

Originally posted by gregvabch
gmen--i've got 2 normal icecap model 175-MH ballasts and 2 mogul base 10,000k XM bulbs. i'm assuming you're talking about double ended bulbs....

Grebvabch, Yes it will work on the regular ice cap....in my above post i was refering to the hqi ic ballast. Also the hqi ballast will probably fire the bulb but you will most likely run into problems with in a few months.
HTH
mike

gmen

DE bulb will give you more light then a se with the same wattage.....example a 250w de is more light then a 400w se...
IMO if you are starting out and dont have the equipment go with DE they are more money but worth it in the long run....SE work just fine too thats what I use, but de are defitnely better imo.

skirrby

i love the comparison pics.. i like the way the sunburst bulbs look the best out off the pics.