which brand of lighting

neev

I need a light for my 55 gal. I have fish only but want to start getting mushrooms and other stuff. I want the one with the moon light. Don't know what brand name.

feixjai

are you just looking for soft corals or hard corals also? well if its hard coral you might want to go with mh. if its for soft corals i think regular pcs would do. you need about 2-5 watts per gallon. the only light i know that comes with moonlights are the coralife lights

fishieness

well if you only want softies, then PC would be a good choice and the least expensive.
how much are you looking to spend?

neev

What is a pc? I want something that I'm not afraid to get what ever I want due to lighting.
But I really like the moonlight. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Something in between , not cheap , not first quality.

nm reef

I've seen numerous sources for this type of fixture:
"Aqualight Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 10,000K and True Actinic 03 Blue Compact Fluorescent Lamps, 2 on/off switches, 2 - 8 foot power cords for separate timers, 2 cooling fans, built-in ballasts, sleek aluminum housing, highly- polished reflector and acrylic lens cover. "
The price starts around $200 and can go up from there. Several have moonlights included.
Searching LFS's and on-line you'll probably locate several viable options for your aquarium. Options include PC's...VHO's...and combinations with MH's....depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay.

jjlittle

check out online there are many web site offering very affordable light where you could get any type with moon lights as well."Lets avoid mention of specific sites"has nice prices justnot the best quality but from treads I have read most are very happy with what they got for the money.

fishmamma

I use the Dual Sattelite (sp?) fixture, it has built in fan and moon light. It allows me to do most corals, but certainly not all and it didn't break the bank. h*

lradlbeck

I just ordered one it is the...
Brand New Catalina Aquarium Power Compact Hood
4 X 65 watt Power Compact
w/ 3'' Legs and Lunar Strip 6 LED lights
Moonlights!
Made in The United States - Not china like most Power Compact Fixtures
5 year warranty on Electronic Ballast, 1 year full Warranty on the entire fixture
Bulbs included - You may chose the bulbs you would like - we have - 10k, actinic, 50.50, and 6500k. Please specify the color bulbs you would like in your payment or you will be shipped random bulbs.
Feet are included with the fixture that raise the fixture 3 inches above your aquarium
Feet Are Clear - so from a distance it looks like fixture is floating above tank! - look below
2 Quiet fans included to Cool unit
Dimensions are 48 X 8.5 X 2.75
Unit has German Polished Aluminum Spider Reflector inside to increase reflectivity 300%
3 Chords and 3 switches on unit - 1 chord controls back 2 bulbs, 1 chord controls front 2 bulbs, and 1 chord controls the moonlights
You can dim the moonlights to any setting you would like.
Shipping is $24.99 in the 48 contingent United States
Please inquire for shipping elsewhere
Unit is made of Aluminum and will come in a silver color
It was $189.99 plus shipping - I really like it. I can let you know where I got it if you e-mail me (lizhill@mail.com)
Liz

seahorse11

Liz, Those lights sound perfect for me. My tank is 125 gal 72"X18"X24" and is going to be mostly FOWLR but a few inverts (snail, starfish, feather duster, NO LIVE corals). The compact hood that I like is the Catalina compact hood 72" 4x96 watt. Which type of bulb would be the best for me, the 10K, 6500K, actinic, 50.50? How are the feet attached to the tank?
Thanks

joncat24

neev...look up the odyysea on the big auction site or e-mail me and I will give you the web site where I bought mine...48 inch with 260 watts 12k daylights at actincs with legs and moonlights for 139.00 shipped . I heva shrooms polyps and a beautiful flower pot under this light and it is working great...
jhnlittle@hotmail.com