which brand of live sand?

moneylaw

Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand from CaribSea
OR
Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Reef Sand (they have reef substrate prob CC and reef sand, I am only comparing the reef sand)
Please help me decide which live sand to choose. And also how is it compared to the live sand sold at this site?

autofreak44

i hear of lots of people using caribsea, so i would go with that... they are probably both about the same, so if one is a lot cheaper than the other go with that but i would say get caribsea... and DONT GET THE CC lol

moneylaw

Originally Posted by autofreak44
i hear of lots of people using caribsea, so i would go with that... they are probably both about the same, so if one is a lot cheaper than the other go with that but i would say get caribsea... and DONT GET THE CC lol

Thanks. Yeah, I heard lots of bad thing about CC from this site. how is it different (advantages and disadvantages) from the live sand sold on this site, do you know?

R

reefernana

This is what I used.

not a great example, but it's fine white sand with whole/broken little pieces of shell, it's really nice - west caribbean reef variety

My lfs ordered it in for me.

moneylaw

I don't think I have seen it anywhere. On the other hand, it is prob because i haven't been looking hard. :)

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by moneylaw
I don't think I have seen it anywhere. On the other hand, it is prob because i haven't been looking hard. :)
Email me at glenda419@charter.net and I'll let you know where you can find it.

mrextc

I was also thinking about getting some of the same stuff. I just got a decent set up from the local classified. Just moved it in today, but i noticed that there is only 1/2 inch of sand. i would like more and was thining about this stuff...
Do you have to rinse it out? or just dump directly into your tank. right now, I have no fish, only LR and LS. Thanks.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by mrextc
I was also thinking about getting some of the same stuff. I just got a decent set up from the local classified. Just moved it in today, but i noticed that there is only 1/2 inch of sand. i would like more and was thining about this stuff...
Do you have to rinse it out? or just dump directly into your tank. right now, I have no fish, only LR and LS. Thanks.
You just put it in your tank straight from the bag. It's got everything in it that is good from the ocean.

R

reefernana

Here's my tank with it:

Here's a better example picture I found, although it's not pink it's white and this shows more shell fragments that I found in my two bags. But I am more than happy with it in my tank. Has more character than just sand.

rabbit_72

We just bought that CaribSea Ocean Direct live sand and I am in love with it. While putting it in the tank, I wanted to make sand castles first. No rinsing involved and as long as you just don't throw the water in (we used a bowl so sand and water wouldn't splash everywhere), it wasn't too cloudy for very long. Started clearing in about an hour or so, and very clear by morning. I am glad I was able to convince my husband that the CC was bad and sand is good!!

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by moneylaw
Wow, your rocks look very nice, unique shape. Are they tanga rocks? The sand looks good too.
Sorry, just got back from the fireworks. 4 are Tonga Kaileni Table Top, 1 Fiji Pukani Branch, and a couple of small Totoka pieces. And thank you, I was able to get them from a lfs for $4.99/lb. It took me several hours to get the aquascaping to my liking. I wanted an open look with lots of swimming holes and water flow ways. It's only 2 mos old so I'm just starting to get some red, purple and green coraline. I really like my sand, too, it's very fine and white but just enough little whole shells and fragments to make it look like the ocean bottom.