Which brand pump is the most quiet?

jay1

I am presently using a rio 2100 pump on my skimmer, and a rio 2500 pump for a return from my sump. My problem is that these pumps are noisy! esp. the 2500. I would like to find the most quiet pump rated at approx.600 to 800 gal. @ 3' head. And I mean real quiet! Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.null

misty

I'm personally digging the Maxi Jet 1200's that I have in mine. My new skimmer came with a Rio 800 that is VERY loud...just haven't put a Maxi Jet on it instead.

mr . salty

I am using a pump that is coincidently called"the QUIET ONE" made by rainbow/lifegaurd(i believe). It is said to be the quietest.I agree,I cant hear it at all.It has run dry twice in a year and still pumps great.....

stalyun95

I HAVE A MAG 7 AND A MAG 9 THEY ARE PRETTY QUIET BUT SO POWERFUL THAT THEY TEND TO VIBRATE AND MAKE A LITTLE NOISE BY MAKING HEATER AND OTHER STUFF IN STAND RATTLE.

i have rios and honestly i think there pretty dammm quiet, i mean i hardly hear anything , i know about how rios have tendencys to be loud... hard to restart ect... but personally for the side and design and quietness i think its good enough

old salt

I had rio powerheads and they drove me nutz.. at least the 1100's... i have a smaller one in my 30 gal and it's quiet... i replaced the 1100's with Maxijets and was AMAZED at how much quieter they are... and WAY FRIGGIN smaller.. the rio's are HUGE!

guppie

I have the mag 5 and it is quit, I know this is under power, but the mag 7 or 9 will work. Good Luck

jay1

Hey! Thanks you one and all for the opinions and information. the concensus seems to be that rio pumps suck (except for Tanker Newby), and there are other pumps on the market in the same price range that perform as well, work better, and are quieter. Since cost was not a great issue for me I purchased a Quiet One pump. I will install it this weekend and let y'all know if it meets my standards. Thanks again for your advice. JCR