Which bulbs for good growth? How good was this deal?

rotarygeek

Ok so the other day a really nice guy from a local forum gave me some zoas. My first corals actually. He gave me an orange one (sorry i don't know the names) with something like 21 or 22 heads, a pink one with like 10 heads, and a kinda ugly brownish green one with long flowing strands coming off the heads, and has like 8 heads. He also gave me some kind of red/brown leather about the size of a quarter. All for free. Now i have a pretty wierd set up lightwise. Its a standard size 55 gallon with a 20" pc light on the left side from current usa. It has a 50/50 daylight/actinic bulb in it that came with it. On the right side, i have a 24" Hagen GLO t5ho single bulb fixture with a 10k (I think thats what it is, im not positive, really whitish yellow) bulb in it. I also have a super actinic bulb as a back up that i can use. I have the ugly brownish zoa under the pc light, and the rest about midway up in the tank under the t5's. I didn't aclimate them at all, just dumped them right in, grabbing them by whatever i could get ahold of. No gloves, touching the actuall coral, you name it, i probably did it wrong. But they all opened up within 2 hours of being in my tank and they all look very good. I guess my real question is, which bulb is the best to get growth out of these things? Should i switch to the super actinic bulb? From what i understand, the light i have now will effect growth, and the actinic will effect color. If anybody could clarify these for me, that would be great. And also, how good of a deal did i get? I know it was good, cuz it was free, but how good?

A

alexmir

I do not think that either of those bulbs will get any growth. The stock pc lighting is just a single bulbe and the single t5 bulb will not be bright enough for thezoas in my opinoin. And will definitely not be enough light for the leather.

rotarygeek

Well he gave them to me to try out, and the tank he had them in had less light than mine does and he said he gets pretty good growth out of them. I have them up kinda high in the tank also.