Which clam do you like the most?

grabbitt

I finally have the means to add some clams to my 30 gallon. I picked up a 150w Sunpod HQI today from a fellow swf member and I love it. Anyway, I have been dying to get a clam or two for some time now, but I do not know anything in regards to variation. I'm wondering which types you prefer and why (color, growth, etc...).
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

maxalmon

Croceas are readily available and easy to care for IMO, Maxima's are about the same, I have 2 of each, just make sure you keep you Ca around 425 and dKH 9-11...

nietzsche

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
I finally have the means to add some clams to my 30 gallon. I picked up a 150w Sunpod HQI today from a fellow swf member and I love it. Anyway, I have been dying to get a clam or two for some time now, but I do not know anything in regards to variation. I'm wondering which types you prefer and why (color, growth, etc...).
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
i have crocea and maxima in my tank, but my lighting is 250w of MH and i have them up on the highest points of my rockwork...if anything, 150w of mh is minimum for the maximas and croceas.
make sure your tank is established for 6 months minimum and your alk and calcium are in the proper range for them
my maxima

and my crocea...thats an optical illusion, the corals on the right arent close at all to it..

grabbitt

Originally Posted by nietzsche
my maxima

and my crocea...thats an optical illusion, the corals on the right arent close at all to it..

Wow, your crocea has amazing color.
If need be, I can also probably add my 64 watt T5 strip to bring some more light... Would that work?

grabbitt

Does anyone else have opinions / pics?
If so, post 'em up!
Thanks to those who have responded thus far

teen

my crocea

my maxima

my squamosa

im looking to get a derasa and another maxima, but i just cant seem to find one i like.

grabbitt

How much would you typically expect to pay for each clam (and please specify what size they would be).
I understand the price obviously varies around the country; this is more of a matter of pure curiousity than a reference when I begin my search...

nietzsche

my clam was 79 dollars--about 6" but the price is going to vary on the size+the patterns and color. unique patterns and colors are going to raise the price
my crocea was only 29 dollars, but i didnt get to choose one.. it was just whatever they sent is what you got, turned out nice. shipping was 39 dollars.
id say if you put the clam way up high you can get away with it, but just make sure you keep up with the alk and calcium demands and keep the water stable..also make sure the tank is mature and you have a good bioload in the tank to indirectly feed them

grabbitt

Sooo I bowed to temptation pretty quick and went out and got a maxima clam. It looks awesome! It is only about two inches (if even), but it looks great.
(Sorry about the crappy pic)

nietzsche

place a small piece of rock underneath it, it should attach quickly, like a day..then you can place him up higher. nice, how much did it cost you?

grabbitt

Originally Posted by nietzsche
place a small piece of rock underneath it, it should attach quickly, like a day..then you can place him up higher. nice, how much did it cost you?
I was thinking of doing something like that.
Price tag was $50

anonome

Nice looking clam.
I have used the empty clam shell to nestle the clam into until it attaches. Mine took about 3 days to firmly attach. Be careful that it doesn't fall over, or get covered by sand if you have a sandsifter. This will irritate the mantle. Keep up with the calcium....as it grows it will suck the calcium up....test frequently until you know how much it is consuming during the week. And as stated already the alkalinity, and ph will alter somewhat once the calcium starts to decline.
As far as your lighting you should be fine, since it is a 30g tank and not too deep. Move it up if it looks like it is not opening as it should.
Good luck, they are beautiful creatures.
Here is one of my croceas.

shaned

Can anyone recommend a good website or LFS in the Atlanta, GA area where I can get a good deal on a maxima clam? I have two small clams (one sqashmosis and the other is a crocea) but they are not growing so far (3 months). My tank is 175 gal so it's large enough to get a maxima about 6-8" in size I believe.
If anyone on this post has one or two for sale I'd like to buy them this week.
Thanks,
Shane
678-662-6336 cell
shane@computerpros.us E-mail

I put mine in my sand and my lawnmower bleeny keeps pushing it over and when i try to move it on to some rock work towards the top it almost falls off. Any pointers on how to get him to attach to some rock? i havent tried a small piece yet. Just a small flat piece is that the idea and how to get him to stay on the piece until he attaches to it?

anonome

Originally Posted by Stangracer85
I put mine in my sand and my lawnmower bleeny keeps pushing it over and when i try to move it on to some rock work towards the top it almost falls off. Any pointers on how to get him to attach to some rock? i havent tried a small piece yet. Just a small flat piece is that the idea and how to get him to stay on the piece until he attaches to it?
I would wedge it with another rock for the time being, but not enough to to keep it from opening up. I will tell you though, that if the clam is not happy in its space it will expell water and go to another place. The problem with this is that is usually ends up in the sand, on its side or upside down. They need some flow, and high light so try to find a spot to meet this demand. The water quality is a sure thing though for these clams....must be really good.