which clown, maroon or tomato?

pontius

which one is more active?
which one is least aggresive?
would they do better singly or as a mated pairs?
I am probably not going to add a host anenome, if I do, it'll be much later, do they fair ok without one?
the fish they will be with are:
7 green chromis
bicolor blenny
coral beauty
flame angel
yellow tang
hippo tang
sixline wrasse
possibly one or two other small peaceful fish.

murph

unless you have a much larger tank than I think you do......your stocked...No more fish.

reef-addict

How aggresive are the fish you've got in there? I mean did they bully up on the last guy you put in?
As far as what I've seen, maroon clowns are more docile than tomato's. So, depending on what you want or think would survive in your tank, its your choice. Maroon do look pretty dam cool

unleashed

personally I like the maroons they get larger yes they can be somewhat agressive to other damsels But I have a pair in my reef they dont bother anyone including my green chromis.also have a single larger maroon in my 100 Fowlr hes pretty mellow there too

dogstar

Im not slamming you or trying to start a war but IMO i feel its cruel to have clowns without giving them a host. only because mine do have one and after seeing the way they interact with it I cant imagine them liveing without it.
I have never had a Maroon but I have had my maited Cinnamons ( very simular to Tomatos ) for over four years and they get along with all the other fish in my tank and I have all on your list except the blenny.

unleashed

most clowns host an anenome for protection trust me a maroon doesnt need that so badly.my maroon seems just fine without an anemone

okiefish

I've only had fish in my tank for 6 or 7months and have had a tomato clown for 5 months of it. He does not like the blue damsel and the two domino damsels I have. He is constantly chasing them off if they get any where near his bubble tip anemone. He doesn't bother the tang or the foxface though.

unleashed

Originally Posted by Okiefish
I've only had fish in my tank for 6 or 7months and have had a tomato clown for 5 months of it. He does not like the blue damsel and the two domino damsels I have. He is constantly chasing them off if they get any where near his bubble tip anemone. He doesn't bother the tang or the foxface though.
thats because a clown fish is also a type of damsel they do get along well because of territorial issues

pontius

thanks for the info everone. are these clowns pretty active? I have had a pair of false percs before and they are pretty boring, imo.
reef-addict said:
How aggresive are the fish you've got in there? I mean did they bully up on the last guy you put in?
the last fish I put in was the hippo tang, and he took over the tank in less than an hour. he and the yellow tang can both be a little bossy, but only when other fish get in their way. they don't go out of their way to start trouble. all the fish are currently in a 72, I am cycling the 125 now, so I would be able to put them in in whatever order I want.
as far as fish needing anenomes, I don't know. I have heard that tank raised clowns may or may not take to one. If I knew they would, I would get one. I have plenty of light so that's not a problem. but if the clown is going to ignore the anenome and the anenome is just going to be there to sting my other corals, I don't want one. I am not enamored by anenomes the way many people are, I prefer corals.