Which coral

I plan on going to the non lfs and puchasing a new coral. What are some good hardy corals that are not to preditory. Any suggestions a welcome.
Adam

tonga

what kind of lighting do you have? I can't really recomend a coral to you without knowing the lighting conditions.. I would say a hardy coral for just about any lighting condion would be some button polyps,some mushrooms,or maybe a pink toadstoll leather, these are all hardy and easy to keep. The most aggressive coral you will ever run in to is the galaxey, some of the other aggressive ones are hammer,torch,frogspawn,octo,bubble and a few others, basicly anything that has the ability to reach out will sting surrounding corals, you just have to be careful. BTW the aggressive corals I just listed are all HARD corals and require moderate to high lighting (VHO - Metal Halide)
Good Luck!

I have pc lighting three bulbs at 55 watts each. Two of the bulbs have a kelvin of 9325. The other is atinic and I do not know the k. I have 30 pounds of lr and 38 pounds of ls. I have a protien skimmer a wet dry filter and I add suppliments to the tank once a week. So far I have no corals that sting and do exploratory research with their tentacle. I have hairy mushrooms, striped mushrooms, green lace, branch cualestrea, to moom polyps, and some sort of cup coral.
Adam

tonga

your lighting really isn't good enough to keep most hard corals, since you already bought a few hard corals, I would put them close to the top, or take them back. You should stick to the soft corals, a great coral for you would be a colt coral (Cladiella sp) they are very forgiving and can withstand both bad water conditions and less then optimal lighting conditions. some other corals you may want to condisder:
Finger Leather (Sinularia sp.)
Star Polyps (Clavularia sp.)
Zoanthis button polyps (Zoanthus sp.)
and of course check out the different color morphs of mushrooms.

burnnspy

Tonga has some good points and recommendations. I add the following corals to his list:
Blastomussa corals(very beautiful and hardy-my favorite and non-aggressive)
Xenia, anthellia, red open brains and Fox corals.
BurnNSpy

frenchman

I agree with all but I had a question to the message just above. I thought that brain typically need a top water condition to keep them alive. Is a red brain easier than others? :confused:

pootietang#1

I'm surprised noone has asked the gallons of the aquarium, I mean, that's realy what it boils down to, isn't it?! I mean, jeez, this could be a one gallon (even though it's not!) and all of you could be wrong, and it would be too MUCH lighting! So, I guess I'll have to ask the obvious, how many gallons is the aquarium?

tonga

he replied to his own post, look at the third post on the thread.. he says 55gallons :D
[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: tonga ]

nm reef

my 55 reef is under 260 watts of pc lighting(2x55 smartlite&2x65 10000k britelite) with approx 110 watts of 03 actinic no.......so far I've added candy cane coral frag..red/green open brain..closed brain..star polyp coral..frogspawn..hammer..bubble..large assortment of polyps..mushrooms..and 2 different leathers.....all are in good health and growing........hope these choices give ya some help.....

burnnspy

Actually there is no such thing as too much lighting, with the exception being MH causing the water to boil.
BurnNSpy

My tank size is actually 46 gallons.
Someone said that I should move my hard corals closer to the top. The cup coral is thriving down at the bottom and at the lfs the guy had it in a dark corner of his tank and was and is now doing fine.
Adam
[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Salisbury A D ]

indy1

165 watts over a 46g isn't bad. Yes it could be better. I have 192 watts over a 55g (96w actinic 96w 6700). I have a pink pagoda that is about 8" from the top and is THRIVING nicely! You don't neccessarily need to have a "sun" hanging over your tank for it to be nice.