Which cordless tool brand do you prefer?

bionicarm

I have a Craftsman 19.2V set of cordless tools where the batteries have ended their lifespan. I can get a new battery for around $60, but I'm thinking of maybe selling them all (two drills, one reciprocating saw, 5 1/2" circular saw, hand light, and stapler) and getting a name-brand combo set from one of the home improvement stores. Which brand is considered the most reliable and provides the most 'bang for the buck'? I see 18v, 24v, and 36v systems out there, but I'm not sure if higher voltage means more torque, or longer usage times. Home Depot has their Rigid product line, and I'm not sure what Lowes has. But there's also DeWalt and Mikita ($$$$). Any professional craftmen out there that can provide their words of wisdom and advise on the subject?

J

jjs

Ive been a trim carpenter for about 10 years Ive had them all Dewalt, Craftsman, porter cable the list goes on. The best Ive found are the makita series of drills that are 2.9amps you can get 14v, 18v and 24v. The 14 I have is much more powerful than the dewalt 18v. The 18v makita has really turned out to be a good one too. As long as you always waste the battery all the way before charging ( I put mine on the flashlight untill it runs out) some of my batteries are 2 years old and I use them everyday.

dragonzim

I have a Ryobi 18V set that I got from Home Depot a few years ago that I have been incredibly happy with. My father and I are working on a new bathroom in my house. I have been using my Ryobi gun and my Dad brought over his 18V Dewalt to use. The batteries on my Ryobi last a LOT longer than the Dewalts.

snowrider84

Hilti or dewalt
your going to pay more but in my opinion they are far superior, durable and just a better all around cordless tool. The only problem with hilti is its hard to find, i buy direct from them but i think you can find stuff at some homedepots

posiden

I agree Hilti.
Now having said that.......I only have one cordless tool anymore. I am not a contractor so I don't have a lot of use for them. Anywhere I go, or anything I do around the house I just pack a cord. The old stand by never quits until it is time for a new one. They have lots of power and they don't weigh a ton.
By the way, if you have a bionicarm you should not need cordless tools.

wattsupdoc

The thing is, the tool you get from HD or Lowe's etc. Is a different grade of tool that you will get if you pay a little more and get them from a tool store. I have gone through so many DeWalts it isn't funny. I wont buy them anymore. I haven't owned a Makita in many years. But the ones I have owned, were great tools. I have used the Ridgid brand and they are a better tool than the same style Dewalt. Ridgid has made very high quality power tools for many many years. You wont go wrong with the, That being said, if your going to buy from a tool store and get the best, you want Milwaukee. I have now the 18v. Lion hammer drill, impact gun, and hatchet sawzall. Going on 1 1/2 years now. Very good tools. Lion batteries are lightweight, hold a heck of a charge and for longevity they don't develop memory. Keep 'em dry and warm and they'll outlast Ni-cad.
The higher the voltage the more torck.(sp) Potentielly longer charge. Get a impact driver whatever you do.
For running screws in you will love it.

yearofthenick

I have both DeWalt and RIDGID stuff. I am very please with my magnesium worm drive RIDGID circular. I know that RIDGID makes great tools and are more affordable as well. I have a buddy who is a general contractor and that's all he uses.
I have a dewalt 18v cordless combo kit and I love it. I especially love the battery life on my dewalts... it seems like I can let them sit for months and then if I have a small weekend project, they still push out just as much torque as the day I charged them. If you do decide to go with dewalt, make sure you get the XRP. Their non-XRP stuff isn't that powerful.

bionicarm

Looks like Makita has a pretty good rebate deal right now. If you purchase one of their 7-piece LXT 18v Lithium Ion Combo sets (LXT702), you get a rebate form to get another cordless tool for free! We're talking a 3/8" right angle drill , jig saw, metal cutting saw, etc. These tools retail between $120 - $225. The kit is available online for around $600. Offer good until June 30th:
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...ons/?PromoID=0

yearofthenick

That's a pretty sweet deal.
What amazes me about mikita's lithium stuff is how light it is... seriously, you will be amazed with how light the batteries are - almot like they're empty.

wattsupdoc

All Li-ion batteries are light. You want a 1/2in drill. Not a 3/8. Dont, whatever you do settle for a 3/8. If you can get the kit with a hammerdrill and the impact gun. Do it. You'll be glad whenever you need to drill into concretebrick or stone, as well as just general driving s c r e w s .

bionicarm

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/3042223
All Li-ion batteries are light. You want a 1/2in drill. Not a 3/8. Dont, whatever you do settle for a 3/8. If you can get the kit with a hammerdrill and the impact gun. Do it. You'll be glad whenever you need to drill into concretebrick or stone, as well as just general driving s c r e w s .
The 7 piece combo comes with the 1/2" hammer drill and the impact gun. It doesn't say it's a 1/2" impact gun, just 18v. Only reason I was looking for the 3/8" was it's a right angle drill. It'd be nice to have a drill like that for putting in screws in tight corners and such.

jackri

Dewalt 18v..... you can't break it (dropped it off several roofs) and would last 2 days of very very long days installing satelitte dishes back in the day.

martymcfly

I really like Dewalt. I've never had any problems with them and they are very durable plus style points for going yellow. It's pretty much all I've ever used with the exception of some from Craftsman.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3042227
The 7 piece combo comes with the 1/2" hammer drill and the impact gun. It doesn't say it's a 1/2" impact gun, just 18v. Only reason I was looking for the 3/8" was it's a right angle drill. It'd be nice to have a drill like that for putting in screws in tight corners and such.
The impact driver does not have a chuck. This is how it should be. It has instead a 1/4in quick connect to accept a Phillips bit, or nut driver or whatever. So, that is what you want. The right angle drill will be of less use to you than a 1/2 chuck would be. It just sucks to need to use something larger than 1/2, but not have the chuck for it. Very seldom will you find yourself needing the right angle feature. Additionally it puts you bearing down behind the angle of the drill and not behind the back of it.
IMO, Dewalt is about 4th in line as far as quality. Definitely the Rigid and Milwaukee lines top them. Makita I'm sure would too. Then we have Porter Cable and Bosch also. So maybe 7th.....I'll never own another.
My wife years ago worked at a injection molding plant here. The De Walt, Ryobi, Craftsmen lines of drills are all made from the same line. just different colors. Now De Walt has a few upgraded parts in it and more metal than the others. With better batteries. I have a few craftsman tools and some are fine, but you cant compare them to a good solid rechargeable tool. Again I say there's a difference between the HD bought stuff and the tool shop bought stuff. Identical items comparatively. The exception would be the Rigid line. I would hold this line of rechargeables up against any on the market, from anywhere. They are built as solid as they get...PERIOD.