Which cube to choose

really looking hard at setting up a 28-29 gal cube.
which is better -- is the question
coralife 29 gal biocube with(1) 36 watt True Actinic 03 -- (1) 36 watt 10,000K Daylight
(2) 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar
or
jbj 28 gal with 105 wtt pc and 4 nite-vue led

I am looking to keep zoa, palys , ricordia and mushrooms - a pair of clowns and maybe clown goby - nothing hard

ya that's way out of my range
really just want the cube - ive had the 14 gal in the past - a little small for what I want
I still have my 56 gal tank but running it as fresh water - I just really miss my corals

jay0705

I hear ya. I have a 56 myself. a lfs just got one of the red sea 36 cubes in. Thats why it came to mind. They are pricey tho. Alot of folks like the 29 bio cube

pegasus

I would choose the 36W T5's. The bulbs stay within color range longer than PC, and you have more options when it comes to color choices. You'll probably also get better growth out of your softies as well, even with lower wattage.

Edit: I just realized that T5's are 39W, not 36W... which means they are CFL bulbs. Since CFL and PC are very similar, you'd probably be better off with the higher wattage PC. Sorry about that... :oops:

Last edited:

eric b 125

I love my BC 29. I got it for a QT and frag tank. I've been researching lighting upgrades for a while now, so that once I'm done using it to QT the new fish for my DT I can use it to properly QT frags and I am very excited about "Steve's LED's" retrofit upgrade. Something to check out IMO.