Which Doser?

snakeblitz33

Are you dosing supplements or food?
You do know that they make "mini" calcium reactors for tanks 55g and under, right? Wouldn't that be neat to toy around with? And for $80 plus a CO2 bottle and regulator/solenoid, you can't beat it. lol
Just throwing it out there.

lubeck

I dose over 60 ml of calcium daily. Same with alk. I split it up one in the morning and the rest at night.
I also have to dose mag 30 ml every morning.
I will be leaving for the holidays and wanted to get something going a few weeks before I leave so I can dial in everything
I also have to dump top off water in daily. I would like to eliminate all of this. I know that it will help my parameters be more stable and therefore help my sps health.
I don't have much room under my stand. As much as I would like to consider a calcium reactor I don't have the room and I would need it to be concealed I will have to wait on the reactor until I upgrade.
I've read the best doser is the ones drs use but I don't have the funds for them and they are still too big for my stand.
Any help or recommendations would be great

snakeblitz33

The Ca reactor that I am thinking of is a HOT. It could hang off the back of your sump. It's very small.
Set up an ATO container next to your tank... and buy an ATO. BINGO!
the litermeters are pretty good.... Make sure you put check valves on your output lines or else your doses will be all over the place because of a slight back siphon if you don't.

lubeck

Seth do you have a brand name I could search for. Just to give you an idea of how much room I have the diameter the reactor can be no bigger then the 32oz bionic bottle or the diameter of the two little fishes phosban reactor 150. Which I believe is only 3" or so.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, sure, I'm sending you a PM now...
Maybe one of these will help.
ViaAqua Acro-cal Calcium Reactor Mini (3.7" diameter)
AquaMaxx Calcium Reactor Nano (3.0" diameter)

lubeck

Going with the calcium reactor. I got my bonus so its good to go. I have to figure out what to get. Still not up to speed on cal reactors need to read some good threads

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/393411/which-doser#post_3500400
Going with the calcium reactor. I got my bonus so its good to go. I have to figure out what to get. Still not up to speed on cal reactors need to read some good threads
There really aren't any good threads on this forum when it comes to calcium reactors. You may want to try some actual websites and follow the instructions that come with your reactor first. The larger forums that people can't talk about have some really good troubleshooting threads on calcium reactors if you still have trouble setting it up.

lubeck

I don't think I will find a reactor that will fit. So if it doesn't matter on foot print what would be the best reactor for my tank? I will be placing the reactor outside the tank

snakeblitz33

A little aquamaxx mini would probably be a good choice. It's still small - and for smaller aquariums. That model even has a pH probe holder to monitor the pH inside the reaction chamber.
A little 5lb CO2 bottle would probably be a good start as well, and milwalkee instruments makes a decent solenoid/regulator.
Type in "mini calcium reactor" and see what you get in Google...

lubeck

I was thinking of getting a 2.5 lb tank and one of the electronic regulators from aquarium plants

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/393411/which-doser#post_3500611
What's a good ph monitor. What's the difference between the two
Milwaukee instruments makes some decent cheap pH meters... one is handheld, which gives you a quick and accurate reading. The other comes with a probe... that constantly sits in the water and constantly measures your pH. It's about $90.
The other option is to actually buy something like a reef keeper lite and buy the pH and temp probes with it - and use the modules to control the functions of your tank. (lights, skimmer, doser, or ca reactor, etc. etc.)
It just really depends on what you want to do, to be honest. lol Cheap, expensive,.. new toy, old news, uncomplicated, very complex...
I personally rather look at my meter/controller and know the pH right off the bat rather than test it with a titration test kit like seachem... or even a liquid test kit like API. Just saves time. lol
If you are getting the calcium reactor, you will want to monitor the pH inside the reaction chamber - and therefore a probe may be the best option for you. But, as a side note, if you pair it with a controller, the controller will regulate your CO2 bottle so that your pH never drops - it cuts off the solenoid... and acts as a redundancy to protect your tank. (kind of like having insurance.)

lubeck

So I'm having a hard time deciding on which reactor. There are actually two aquamaxx nano reactors One saying "nano star" and the other " CR1 nano". I actually found the cr1 version on a website and believe it will fit in my stand. If it doesn't though they Are both hang on back units so how do I set them up outside of the stand?
I believe that the cr1 is discontinued but it has a bubble counter and a smaller footprint. I don't think either have a probe holder so how do I put one in the reactor? I'm also highly considering getting the full apex controller but can't figure out how I would put a probe in the reactor.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/393411/which-doser#post_3500638
So I'm having a hard time deciding on which reactor. There are actually two aquamaxx nano reactors One saying "nano star" and the other " CR1 nano". I actually found the cr1 version on a website and believe it will fit in my stand. If it doesn't though they Are both hang on back units so how do I set them up outside of the stand?
I believe that the cr1 is discontinued but it has a bubble counter and a smaller footprint. I don't think either have a probe holder so how do I put one in the reactor? I'm also highly considering getting the full apex controller but can't figure out how I would put a probe in the reactor.
I was refering to the Aquamax nano star. It does have a pH probe port... I don't know what size port it has though. It can only be hung on something because the design - so the back of the aquarium or on the lip of the sump or somewhere...
There are other models out there, you just have to dig for em'.

snakeblitz33

Wait a minute - you have a 30g???
If you are having a lot of trouble, I'd recommend getting a two little fishies kalkwasser reactor and get an ATO reservoir and top off unit. It will add calcium and alkalinity and keep your pH up. A calcium reactor without an effluent chamber on such a small tank will decrease your pH if not maintained properly. A kalkwasser reactor/stirrer is perhaps the safest way you can add both calcium and alkalinity in equal parts.

lubeck

Really? Now I need to start looking for a kalk reactor? So what's the difference between 2 part and kalk? What about mag? What's a good auto top off?