Which Eheim filter for 75g Reef?

westwind

Hello all,
I am going to be setting up the 75g reef tank again soon, finally figured out where we want it in the new house. We were using 2 large bio-wheel filters but are going to do it the right way now.
I have it narrowed down to 2 filters:
1) Eheim Wet/Dry Filter System Model 2229
2) Eheim Pro II Filter Model 2028
Is one better than the other? Is it a toss up? Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks!
westwind

jessecnc

If your going to do a reef with sufficient live rock and live sand, the wet/drys won't be needed and may just cause problems. Go for a sump with a protien skimmer and refugium instead!

westwind

I did a lot of research on-line and I was amazed to find NO negative reviews of any of the Eheim filters. A couple people had a problem with priming or a small leak, but both were easily fixed.
I was curious if anyone could provide more feedback to pull me one way or the other.
Also, if i did a sump does anyone have any good products they could recommend?
Thanks!
westwind

diane4

Westwind. I am an AVID fan of all of the Eheim products. They work great, don't leak - I just love em.
I think they run great for freshwater fish, however - I don't think any cansiter filter works well for saltwater tanks. Maybe if the media inside was different, like foam, bio balls etc. The ceramic peanuts just don't cut it for saltwater filtration.
I think the best thing really are the sumps for saltwater tanks.