which hqi ballast?

trompet3

What is the best option for a 250 watt HQI MH ballast?
Is it better to now go with electronic ballasts? Which one is the best choice?
Also, I do not believe they make any electronic ballasts for capable of controlling 2 or 3 bulbs, is there? I may have to just buy 2 or 3.
Thanks in advance, trying to buy today to catch a good coupon.
Also, I'm thinking XM 20k.

sammiefish

the consensus is indeed electronic ballasts are best... and cost more too...
yes, as far as I am aware, one ballast for each bulb. I am using 20000K XM bulbs.... I like them.

T

thomas712

I have a thread somewhere about this, comparing 250 watt bulbs and ballasts, its in two parts.
I use the dual PFO HQI ballasts it offered one of the best par for my bulb. I'll look for the thread.
Thomas

trompet3

What i've concluded from that thread is...
1. While electronic ballasts will save money on electricity, it sacrifices PAR.
2. No matter what ballast, go with the XM 10k, not 20k because of the much higher PAR.

trompet3

Just bought:
Blueline E-Ballast 250w
PFO 250w HQI Horizontal Pendant
For total $234.80 plus shipping. (I did buy three of each though, so $704.40). They should also be giving me back $30 for a pricematch. I think that's pretty darn good for 3 250 watt e-ballasts and HQI pendants. What do you guys think?
Going to wait on the bulbs maybe for a sale. Not setting anything up for about 2 months. I'm thinking now of the 10k XM or maybe wait for the 14k XM's.

ebsochin

Not to shabby of a price! I don't know much about the Blueline E-Ballast 250w
but I hope it works out for you. I personnaly have the icecap ballasts for my 250W HQI bulbs. XM makes some really nice bulbs at great prices! Have you thought about USHIO bulbs? Just wondering. As far as electronic ballasts being better, it is almost like computers, one day 1 thing is great and the next day something else is better. I would highly recomend the electronic ballasts though. I do know with the icecap electronic ballasts there is no issue with heat.

sammiefish

the consideration of PAR is certainly valid BUT my observations also suggest that the higher the color temp the better the coloration of the coral... that is REAL coloration not just perceived color due to the color of the light... I use 20000K.... dr macs uses 20000K bulbs at their coral farm... seems like great coloration of those too.... BTW, seems like you got a great deal!!!

trompet3

Without a doubt, the 20k looks much better esthetically. However, to my knowledge, they are not as good for coral growth. It comes down to a balance of those two, imo.
The ARO ballast is a little cheaper, but does require some wiring (not much). The Blueline is an easy prewired "plug and play" model.
Now that the XM 15k bulbs are in stock, I'd be curious to see where they would fall in the tests from the link above. These might be that compromise I'm talking about.

sammiefish

Just for clarity, not only does the 20000K light "look" better to some people... it produces more rich pigment production in the corals.... remember, the idea of growing corals (to me anyway) is not just speed of growth... but quality of colors. to explain a different way... grow a coral under 20000K and 6700K... the 6700K will grow faster .but if you view both corals under 10000K light the coral grown under the 20000K bulb will display deeper richer pigmentation than the one grown under the 6700K ... the same goes for 10000K and 14000K. The bluer the light the better ACTUAL coloration of the coral... not just because of the color of light but actually HOW the coral grows and the amount of pigment it produces...nothing to do with the color of light that is hitting your eye from the light bulb... it that clearer than mud?