Which Hydor Koralia for my aquapod 24

airandsea

Before you say, "hey moron there is a Hydor Koralia nano and your tank is a nano", let state my thoughts and question first
. I have been around fresh water for a long time and I know that when a filter or power head says that it is for a certain size tank or certain output, it really comes up short. I know that I am going to need more water movement than the 290gph the filter pump puts out. I did some searching on here and found mixed results. Would you recommend the Hydor Koralia nano or the Hydor Koralia 1. Going by the spec number sfrom my filter pump and each Hydor Koralia model the nano would make the water flow 22.08X's and the "1" would make the water flow 28.75X's. Thanks for the input!!!!

rebelprettyboy

Cant remember if its 1 or 2. Which ever is the one ahead of the nano koralia Id go with. the 400 gph one! Should do good

deltablack22

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2617308
Cant remember if its 1 or 2. Which ever is the one ahead of the nano koralia Id go with. the 400 gph one! Should do good
Im pretty sure its the 1, but I run a #2 in my 20 gallon frag tank blowing from one end to the other and its perfect. I think these things are overrated.

airandsea

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2617333
Im pretty sure its the 1, but I run a #3 in my 20 gallon frag tank blowing from one end to the other and its perfect. I think these things are underrated.
Wow, I think the 3 is like 850 GPH right? That doesn't blow your substrate all over the place?? I want fish as well as zoo's etc.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by airandsea
http:///forum/post/2617357
Wow, I think the 3 is like 850 GPH right? That doesn't blow your substrate all over the place?? I want fish as well as zoo's etc.
I've got plenty of zoos in my frag tank as well as a sixline and clownfish. i have it blow toward the surface and across the tank lenghtwise. I like it because with one pump I can provide all the flow I could ever need. In the 24 I would mount it high on the back glass blowing toward the front glass (thats how I have my #2 on my 30 gal) and it works great. Flow is mildly strong in both tanks but nothing settles on the bottom and I dont have to worry about dead spots.
When I bought them I was going to buy #1's but everyone talked about how the flow was dispersed (unlike your standard powerheads) so I went ahead and upgraded. No regrets here....

deltablack22

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
http:///forum/post/2617333
Im pretty sure its the 1, but I run a #3 in my 20 gallon frag tank blowing from one end to the other and its perfect. I think these things are underrated.
SORRY, I MEANT NUMBER 2'S................. THEY'RE THE 600 GPH UNITS.

mr_x

don't get the nano. you will be disappointed. i have a 30 breeder that i have a 2 in, along with 2 mj1200's with those hydor-flo attachments on, and i think i could use a bit more flow.
if this is going to be the only powerhead in your tank, i'd say- atleast a 2.
what will you keep in this tank? if you are thinking sps, then a 2 might not do it either.

airandsea

I would like to have four or five fish (eventually), zoos and at this point I haven't really thought much about sps yet. So you think that a "2" would be the best. The total flow of around 890GPH in a 24 won't be to much for the fish?
Thanks again

vampofvegas

http:///forum/post/2617516
The total flow of around 890GPH in a 24 won't be to much for the fish?
Thanks again

Depends on how you have the flow set up. Aslong as its not a tornado of flow i'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
The flow I have in the tank is very random and I can watch the flow to make sure I like it... and the animals like it.
If its too tornado-e point the K2 at the front of the glass to help cut down some flow on it. Or even the fish protector (to keep them from swimming in.. which would have to have some strength to do) that comes with the PH cuts the flow back some too if needed, but changes the projecection of the flow more to the side than straight. Just play around with it, i'm sure the 2 will work. Or (2) 1's to give a better random flow.

atrialfib22

I have a #1 and a #2 pointing towards one another in my 20g H...works great. i had the #2 by itself and it did well, but I wanted a little more randomness...

airandsea

I think that I am going to try the 2. If I have the flow of the 290 filter return pump and the K2 pointing at eachother, I would think that the water flow would be pretty random and the water turn rate will be around 37X.

jigga w00t

i have a koralia 1 in my nano 24 and it works great. (when i got it, it was $1 more than the koralia nano) i have it positioned in the bottom right of my tank pointed left. it sure made a difference in the amount of current in my tank. i got a new frogspawn and it, along with my hammer coral, are constantly in motion, (but its slow and even). but they aren't getting blown around like crazy. the koralia 1 still has the power to blast sand around and make a "divot" by some LR. but thats my deal, i positioned the koralia behind my LR so its hidden, most people put them higher in their tanks...
on a side note, i used to have a problem with cyano, but after taking the proper steps to getting rid of it and by adding the koralia, cyano is gone!

airandsea

I just orders a koralia 2. I got it for $33.90 shipped. Just curious, for the guys and gals who don't live near places such as Florida, Cali and other places like those, do you purchase a lot of you stuff online. Most of the stuff that I have found at the LFS is almost double what I would pay online shipped to me. Just curious what you all do and think. I really want to support the local store but paying almost double is crazy.

deltablack22

http:///forum/post/2618128
I just orders a koralia 2. I got it for $33.90 shipped. Just curious, for the guys and gals who don't live near places such as Florida, Cali and other places like those, do you purchase a lot of you stuff online. Most of the stuff that I have found at the LFS is almost double what I would pay online shipped to me. Just curious what you all do and think. I really want to support the local store but paying almost double is crazy.
Thats really all about personal preference. The owner of my local fish store is a d*** and will even avoid phone calls at the store by saying that he is another person; so being that he is shady and a poor business owner I choose to support online retailers for all dry goods. If I had a quality store locally then I wouldnt hesitate to spend a few extra bucks to show my support.

sickboy

I think these things are underrated.
Really? I think they are overrated! If I had known that the output was SO sporadic then I would have upped them. I have 2 # 2's in a 38 and they are much less powerful than the previous "old style" powerheads I had in there. Don't get me wrong, I like how it isn't a straight stream when the snail guard is off, but I thought they would push a lot more water

aquaguy24

i was planing on running two #2's in my 90g so i just bought one to try it out..im definetly buying two #4's instead...but a #2 should be perfect for a nano tank..im from cali and yes prices are almost double at my lfs vs. online prices.