which Hydor Koralia?

spy231

I have a 5 ft long 100 gallon aquarium. I am thinking about getting 2 3's. Do I need 4's?
What do you guys have on your 90's, 100's or 110's and how do you like them?

smoothie

I got 2 #2's (600gph) for my 100 gal. The fish and all my softies love them. Depends on what pump you have and what you have/ want in your tank.

jenni620

the threes would probably be good. you don't want anything that is going to whip the fish around the tank..lol

mikelly02

Okay, I don't mean to take over the post with my own question but I'm very new at this and have no idea what #2's, 3's or 4's are... I have a 125g (6 ft wide) and if we are talking about filtration(?) I have two cascade filters models 1000 (265 gph) and 700 (185 gph). This okay? Sounded like a good idea and a lot cheaper than the fluvals recommended by the LFS. Also I'm using the spray bar and wondering if that will provide enough flow? We bought a protein skimmer but having issues with it. (Likely us and not the skimmer) Also the one we bought was for a tank up to 100 gallons, should we return it for a bigger model or would this be sufficent? I definetly want corals, etc. at some point.
Any advice would be much obliged!
Kelly

A

anmldr

I just got two #3's for my 125 long.
#2, 3, and 4 are the model types for a powerhead - hydor koralia.
I am also a newbie so i will wait for the other more experienced people to chim in about the filters and skimmer issues.

am00re34

Originally Posted by mikelly02
Okay, I don't mean to take over the post with my own question but I'm very new at this and have no idea what #2's, 3's or 4's are... I have a 125g (6 ft wide) and if we are talking about filtration(?) I have two cascade filters models 1000 (265 gph) and 700 (185 gph). This okay? Sounded like a good idea and a lot cheaper than the fluvals recommended by the LFS. Also I'm using the spray bar and wondering if that will provide enough flow? We bought a protein skimmer but having issues with it. (Likely us and not the skimmer) Also the one we bought was for a tank up to 100 gallons, should we return it for a bigger model or would this be sufficent? I definetly want corals, etc. at some point.
Any advice would be much obliged!
Kelly
Kelly:
you need more flow w/o a doubt. i would recommend the hydor models (few of my friends have and LOVE) this thread is about or the tunze nanostreams(what i have and LOVE). Just to give you an idea i have a 55 gallon tank and have appx. 1,500 gph of flow compared to your 450 and your tank is twice the size of mine.
about your skimmer, i dont know what brand and model you have but i can say w/ confidence that its WAY to small. you would probably want something rated for a 180-250 gallon tank if i had to guess(different models and brands can have a big impact)

azfishgal

Originally Posted by laredo300c
funny, i had the same question for a 125g 6ft..so far it looks like two #3's
This is exactly what I have. The #4s IMO will be to much flow, as even with the three's I have to be careful where I point them, but I would not go down to a #2 with my 6' long tank. Two #3s work great!

On a side note, I have a #2 for mixing my salt water and the other day I noticed the top of the ph was on the bottom and the pump was not working. I took it apart and put it back together, but it still won't work.
Not really sure what happened there.
The two #3s in my DT though are working just fine.

mikelly02

Oh wow, I'm way off, thanks for the help. Good thing I don't have anything in it yet, I suppose! The skimmer is a Sea Clone 100, which the guy at the LFS said would be just fine b/c by the time we had the aquarium set up there'd only be 100 gal of water in the tank anyway!
Kelly

am00re34

Originally Posted by mikelly02
Oh wow, I'm way off, thanks for the help. Good thing I don't have anything in it yet, I suppose! The skimmer is a Sea Clone 100, which the guy at the LFS said would be just fine b/c by the time we had the aquarium set up there'd only be 100 gal of water in the tank anyway!
Kelly

he is right, but the thought is to get something larger than what you need. There is no such thing as over-skimming, but you can under skim. I always go with the next larger model than i need for anything filtration related. I figure you can never over filtrate(is that a word?) your tank.
Also with powerheads you want constant water movement in all parts of your tank. if this means having 10 small powerheads then so be it, but most people want as little in thier DT as possible so we get a few powerful powerheads.

laredo300c

i have a seaclone 150 ( rated at 150gallons) in my 55g reef which i like(not love) and honestly i would never ever consider this skimmer for anything bigger than my 55....i two will be upgrading in the next few months to a 125g and i am planning on getting a coralifesuperskimmer 220 ( rated at 220g)

Y

yote

Now I really feel like I went crazy on water flow.I tryed 2 of the Koralia #4s in my 55,but promptly took one out and replaced it with my extra MJ-1200.
You know you have too much flow when you have a 3 inch swell in the center of the tank.

craig_08

TriGA, I would go with a #1 if I were going to put one in a 30g. They are nice powerheads though. Wide flow pattern.