which is more of a neccesity for a sps frag tank?

yellowtail

a kalk reactor
or
calcium reactor
or
do b-ionic part 1 and 2 (alk/calcium)
or
could i drip kalk as well as do b-ionic part 1 and 2 (alk/calcium)

yellowtail

could you give me a name of one that isnt top notch quality but would be good for a 20 sps frag tank. if i did a Ca reactor i wouldnt need to drip kalk right?

birdy

I just can't see why you would need a calcium reactor on a tank as small as a 20gal. Dripping kalk via dosing pump is so easy, I do it on my 58gal which is basically a frag growout tank right now. Right now I do not have to add anything to my tank, other than the 24/7 drip of kalk to my tank, levels stay in perfect balance.

jauringer

for a little 20 gallon, get a knop-c or a my reef creations nano reactor.
if i did a Ca reactor i wouldnt need to drip kalk right?
most people will tell you to keep dripping kalk. I don't anymore, and oddly enough my reactor had to be tuned down when I stopped.
go figure. :D

jauringer

birdy, do you have any SPS besides the Porites?
just can't see why you would need a calcium reactor on a tank as small as a 20gal
I agree, but it sure does make things easy. with a frag grow out tank, i highly doubt that kalk alone will keep up with growth in the long run.
before the reactor I was dropping 2-3 dkh a day in my 46, while i was dripping kalk.

yellowtail

Originally posted by jauringer
for a little 20 gallon, get a knop-c or a my reef creations nano reactor.

what would be a good kalk reactor for a 20 gallon?
jauringer ,
can you email me. i have a question for you. bsports210@aol.com
thank you both for you advice

birdy

Jar- I have 4 medium sized sps colonies, and about 15 frags of various sps
pH 8.2
alk 9
Ca 420
My goal is to keep my levels as close to sea water as possible, I don't want to run my alk and Ca levels up really high. I am sure a calcium reactor will be needed at some point as my frags grow into colonies.
I just think with a 20gal tank with frags, a calcium reactor is overkill, unless of course you have the money just burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means spend away :D .

jauringer

My goal is to keep my levels as close to sea water as possible, I don't want to run my alk and Ca levels up really high.

I do the same thing Birdy. I think its the best choice in the long run. My levels are almost identical to yours.

jauringer

I just think with a 20gal tank with frags, a calcium reactor is overkill, unless of course you have the money just burning a whole in your pocket, then by all means spend away

sometimes i pray for that problem. :D