Which Kind Of Lighting Is Better?

joker_ca

What is better for a 80g....VHO or POWERCOMPACTS
i heard PC are brighter, but i have a buget and cant replace 4 bulbs at once and form what i've seen they cost around $35each

reefraff

VHO's are better than PC's but before you decide take a look at T5 fluorescents, they are the next best thing to halides. You need to make sure you are looking at high output units with individual reflectors. Sunlight supply and Ice Cap both make the good reflectors.

flatzboy

T-5/HO lamps last longer to so it will be a little easier on the wallet. Also so you don' have to replace 4 lamps at once I would replace 1 every few months.

golfish

T-5's, PC's and VHO's all last about the same.....if you really save money get MH's. Over the long run MH's are much cheaper to run and you'll be able to keep what ever you want, plus save money doing it. I suggest 2x250 watter.

pwnag3!!

i think t5s have a better par value though... someone corect me if im wrong.
just because a 54w bulb says 54w it still beats a 75w vho right?

golfish

Originally posted by ShaneV
Actually according to Icecap they say T5's will last you up to 2 years on their ballasts.

Most bulbs will last that long on any ballast...Its all a bunch or *&^%, T-5's are just like PC's and VHO's....nothing more, nothing less...
I recall 6 years ago when PC's came out..its the same *&^% all over again..
I'm not saying their bad, I'm saying there fluorescents bulbs just like PC's and VHO's...what makes them better is the reflectors they use. They wont last any longer then another other fluorescents will.

T

thomas712

Have you heard about the new T-12 lighting, these babys are larger than the T-5's and are said to have greater par value, last longer and can run on Duricell batteries.
:hilarious

flatzboy

Originally posted by Thomas712
Have you heard about the new T-12 lighting, these babys are larger than the T-5's and are said to have greater par value, last longer and can run on Duricell batteries.
:hilarious

Yep they call them SHO=super high output.. Can I grow sps under them?

T

thomas712

VHO would be my choice.
Like Mark I still remember when the PC's came out, they earned themselves an untrusted name then with fake blue bulbs, high prices. Sure they have come a long way since that time. But they are still expensive from what I have seen, at least LFS like to push them and say they are better than sliced bread.
I still like the look of VHO over PC's, I like the switching of bulbs better, I can hook them to my canopy no problem, unlike many of the pc fixtures that you have to wrestle with.
Not to be mean or unfair to PC users, but thats just my opinion.
Thomas

golfish

I've used both, matter of fact I still have a 4x55 watt Hamilton setup from way back (in the garage) I'm with Thomas, I'd go with VHO's over PC's.

reefraff

Originally posted by golfish
Most bulbs will last that long on any ballast...Its all a bunch or *&^%, T-5's are just like PC's and VHO's....nothing more, nothing less...
I recall 6 years ago when PC's came out..its the same *&^% all over again..
I'm not saying their bad, I'm saying there fluorescents bulbs just like PC's and VHO's...what makes them better is the reflectors they use. They wont last any longer then another other fluorescents will.

The main advantages of T5 is the reflector, low power usage and size. The Reflector directs much more light into the tank and because of the small size you can fit more lamps in a given area. They are also able to function better at higher temps than other fluorescents, not always a consideration but can be helpful. People claim they produce less heat than other fluorescents but I think they are just more effecient at dissapating heat because of the reflector design and spacing of the lamps.
I have seen posts from VHO users that replace bulbs every year but Ice Cap claims VHO's running on their ballasts will last 18 to 24 months before they should be changed out. T5's are tested to go AT LEAST that long and possibly much longer. Industrial T5's are rated for like 5 years before the output falls off enough to require replacement but that doesn't consider the color shift we are concerned with so only time will tell.
PC's should be replaced more often. I've heard of people that have to replace them at 5 or 6 months but others can get a year or maybe more. I think the longevity of all fluorescents are effected by heat and the ballasts they are run on.
I like the T5'w because of the ability to mix and match lamps to get just the look you want. I am getting good growth from some SPS I have and my Crocea clam seems to be happy in the sand. Every time I put it on the rocks it keept kicking itself back off. I finally just found it a home in the sand and it's been doing great.

arkey.d

I don't have any experience with VHOs or MHs, but I love my Orbit 4x65 PC fixture! Everything came with it that was needed the stands and the splash shield, all except the timers for the dusk to dawn effect.
I like having lunar lights on at night and the dawn and dusk effect of the actinics and the daylight of the 10,000 and the 6,500s.
Just my 2 cents:)