Which light?

bender77

OK, I have a 37 gallon column aquarium that is 25in deep but only 20in wide. I plan on keeping softies (leather, zoa, rics, mushrooms and photosynthetic gorgonians) I'm trying to decided between these lights
20 Inch Current USA 6x18W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm Actinics
20 Inch SunPod Aquarium Light - SunPod HQI Aquarium Lighting by Current
Other suggestions would be appreciated. I would like something that is on the tank and doesn't hang.

nycbob

both would be a good choice. i cant decide. with mh, more light will reach the bottom. but with 6 t5 bulbs, it is just as good even if its 25 inches deep. mh might hv heating issue, but u get the shimmering effect. t5, u can mix and match colors.

bender77

I'd rather go with the t5, simply due to heat issues, so if all are in agreement that it will work, I'm willing to forgo the shimmer effect

Another possibility if anyone knows how to make it work, or what direction I need to look in. I have track lighting several feet above the tank. If anyone knew of a pendant that was long enough that could hand down from the track, I could go that direction, or put out enough light in the right spectrum. Here is an idea of what I'm dealing with

culp

i would go with the T5 fixture but replace the stock bulbs with much better ATI bulbs.

aquaguy24

It's a 20" t5 fixture so it gonna be hard to find better bulbs that are 20". also 20" sunpod might be all sold old unless u go with 250w. I would try and get a 24" TEK light. I have a 20" long tank aswell. It's been tuff picking out a light. I'm gong with the TEK light frm Sunlight Supply.