Which lights are better?

aztec reef

Well i could care less what the Europeans think, I stopped caring since the fall of Moctezuma and Tenochtitland..Not to mention their european deseases, such as small pox and parvo and what not.. Im the only one that survived, see my wings??

You guys are funny,
A coral needs at least 15k lumens to saturate..
hold on.....strap on your seat belts and get ready to go under severe epic pressure..

aztec reef

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2730907
PAR incomparable?
Maybe if you're comparing a Nova Extreme with stock bulbs and a 250w 10k Ushio halide bulb on a Luminarc reflector. I've seen a six-bulb TEK which is by far not the best T5 fixture out there have a much higher PAR at water level than a 175w halide setup, and kept pretty close as the water got deeper. Granted you're out of luck if the tank is over 24" deep without overdriving the bulbs or using a more powerful fixture like the ATI powermodule.
I think many Europeans would disagree with you.
-Justin
FYI: a 175w mh is insufficient, a 175 watt metal halide puts out 17,500 lux at the water surface and 8,000 lux ten inches down, it’s enough light for the coral at the surface but not at the bottom.. keep reading!!
http://web.archive.org/web/200206120.../2/default.asp

aztec reef

Now,
What i would like from the europeas or anyone, Is to show me an article or even define in laymens terms if you prefer, how in the world does a bank of t5's (regardless of amount of bulbs) comes even close to a 250w mh (PAR wise)..??????????
Don't just add the wattage and overall lux to get a comparison..
thats like mimicking the lousy rule of watt per Gallon ..

Every single t5 bulb has an specific lux ratio output , right?
How does a bank of low lumen bulbs become the powerhouse of superior PAR output vs. a single bulb of High intense lumen of mhs???
When it comes to reef lighting , intensity is the key..
Intensity

intensity is a measure of the time-averaged energy flux. The word "intensity" here is not synonymous with "strength", "amplitude", or "level", as it sometimes is in colloquial speech. For example, "the intensity of pressure" is meaningless, since the parameters of those variables do not match.
To find the intensity, take the energy density (that is, the energy per unit volume) and multiply it by the velocity at which the energy is moving. The resulting vector has the units of power divided by area (i.e. watt/m²). It is possible to define the intensity of the water coming from a garden sprinkler, but intensity is used most frequently with waves (i.e. sound or light).

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2731830
LOl,
Im stoked by the amount of articles i found.. heres a sneak peak.
http://aquariumglobalresource.com/gl...les/10kmh1.htm
Very interesting, the article talks about changing from one type of MH to another.
I have to admit I'm sold let me go out and buy a MH, does anyone have one for sale.

Dig a little deeper and find an article that compares MH and t5' not MH and MH. I really am interested and would love to read it.
LOL

aztec reef

While sps, like most corals, primarily rely on symbiotic zooxanthellae colonies for nutrient generation and thus are considered photosynthetic feeders....
After an exhaustive search for empirical studies on the lighting requirements of sps kept in the amateur/hobbyist aquarium no actual studies have been published at time . It is mentioned that James has a study of sps species under PC, T5, and MH lighting but at time of writing of this article there is no information in the public domain on this study.
The common wisdom by experts in the field of aquarium husbandry and deductions based on scientific articles on commercial coral husbandry is that the higher the light level the better for the sps depending on the species of course.....
This means that it is possible to keep a healthy sps under PC lighting just as it is possible to kill a sps kept under Metal Halide lighting depending on the species of sps and the individual coral itself.
In general a minimum of T5 is best for the sps/lps that will be comfortable in a nano tank with MH being optimal and PC possible with lower light requirement sps. The key being the lower the lighting the closer to the light the sps must be placed. So with PC lighting the sps should be near the top 10-15% of the tank or in a shallow depth tank. With T5 and depending on the species of coral and depth of the tank the upper third of the tank is best. With MH and again depending on the species of sps they should be in the lower third/middle of the tank or higher/lower in order to acomodate depending on species...Now, can u return the flavor by giving me something to base your theories with??
On how the t5's have the same penetration/intensity ratio as mh's??
and dont post lousy comparisons such as watt per gallon..