Which power compact is better?

ubersalt

I have a 30 gallon fish tank with only live rock and fish now. I'm thinking of corals in the future so I want some power compacts.
I'm looking for 192W from either Coralife or Current USA Satellite
Are these two any different and what would be your preference in terms of quality and performance?
They do have the 96W version, would that be sufficient for my 30 gallon. I want to "future proof" it so I don't have to upgrade lights in the future.
And how hot will the 192W get, hot enough to heat my water so that I will need a chiller?

jayc

First off welcome to the boards!
This place is the best!!!! lol I hate to be the one to tell you but its against the rules to most links to other sites/ compeditors to here. So I suggest u to delete them links ASAP(as soon as possible)! I havent used either of those before so I want be able to help u much. I have heard that the current USA's are "better" than Coralifes. But then again I'm not sure which is really better.
HTH( hope this helps)Josh

monalisa

Jay,
I'm in the process of shopping for an upgrade of my lighting as well, so I can't really help you with this, but I was hoping we could find someone who would know. Bump.
Lisa :happyfish

fishmamma

HI- I run the Dual Satellite on one tank and a single on the other. The Dual is awesome- 24 hour dusk dawn system with built in fan and moonlights. IMO the way to go, but no experience with the other brand for comparison's sake. You can get mounting brackets or legs so your fixture sits above the tank and the fan helps keep things on the cooler side. If necessary you can also add a small clip on fan to the side of the tank in the summer and remove your glass top to help keep your temp in check.

ubersalt

Thanks for all the replies. I will purchase the Current USA, just not sure whether to get the Satellite or the Orbit version.
Fishmamma, you said you had the satellite and you can buy legs for it so it sits above the tank right? I am hoping this is the case because I don't have a canopy and would need docking legs.
The Orbit looks like it has legs installed and 2 lunar lights vs 1 for the Satellite version. That is pretty much the only difference I see except for the Satellite being $30 cheaper.

celacanthr

there really isnt much difference between the orbit and satellite i just ordered a 30" orbit for my 37 gal tuesday

ubersalt

Well I bit the bullet and bought the 30" Current USA Orbit model. Also bought the Coral Life Power Timer.
We'll see how it goes. Hopefully my 29 gallon (remeasured and looks like I have 29 gallon not 30 gallon) will not overheat due to the extra heat emitted from the lights

celacanthr

how much was the coralife timer? you can go to a hardware store and get a timer for about 7$
also you need 2 i thought?

ubersalt

I bought the timer at another site for $30 shipped. It may be a bit pricey but has the day/night capabilities and also wave making capabilities.