which protein skimmer

tonyzick

im starting a new 75 gallon reef tank.which skimmer would you recommend the prizm skimmer or the cpr bak-pak 2 or 2r? i will be using a wet dry filter.

tonyzick

also if you recommend the bak-pak skimmer do i need to buy 2 of these because they only are rated up to 60 gallons?

pufferlover

I agree with Salty. I have a prism and really think highly of its effectiveness. Mine is on my 58 full reef and does a bang up job of removing crud from the tank. They are rated up to a 90 gallon so on yours it should do fine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Puffer, did you ever get Red Sea to send you the new impeller? It actually does reduce prozm noise some...but I am still looking for a silent skimmer!

b_ball12_99

Not to contridict but when I researched skimmers I was told a prizm probably wouldn't do as well on a 75gallon. I then looked at the sea clone and it doesn't have a good reputation. I ended up putting out the money and getting a Berlin Turbo Hang-On. It cleans great and is worth the money. I also run an Emporer 400 with my tank. Between the 2 you are looking at I would go for the prizm over the bak-pak2.