Which Puffer

fish1031

A have a friend that wants to sell me a map puffer for cheap. ($150) He is After researching it says they are very hard to adapt to a tank but when they do the're great. I just read a thread that said someone's died in 3 days when it cost $500 if that happened to me I would be extremely upset.
I hear Gunieafowl puffers are much easier do you have any experiences or knowledge of either of these puffers?

gr33nday43

hmmm go with the other one. There are also a lot of other puffers that are easier to care for. What fish are you planning on adding? Triggers, eels, lionfish, etc can be great additions to a tank that size.

fish1031

i want a queen angel, maybe a sohal tang.
I have a trigger. I really don't like eels.
Lion maybe.

sepulatian

Post your stock list and see if people still think you should add a puffer. Did you get the other fish you were getting?

fish1031

no i don't think I am going too... you are right a lot of load...
I want i think now
a sohal, queen angel and one of these puffers.

fish1031

have
6" pinktail trigger
4" lunare wrasse
Want
in this order tell me if you think different
mappa or guineafowl puffer
med. sohal tang
med. queen angel

sepulatian

Calm down, don't be in such a hurry. All of a sudden you want a puffer, why? Because someone you know is selling one? You can get one later if that is what you truely want. You have to slow down. Your system will not be able to handle a large and messy fish right now. You are going away, wait until you come back.

fish1031

i know.. thanks
Well i have always liked those kind of big puffers... I like porcupines too but they are common so when I get a good deal like this it's hard to pass up.
His mappa is awesome... lots of personality!
but you are def. right I need to wait to add anything until I get back
am i right about adding the puffer before a sohal tang? and the queen angel after the sohal or should i switch that up?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by fish1031
i know.. thanks
Well i have always liked those kind of big puffers... I like porcupines too but they are common so when I get a good deal like this it's hard to pass up.
His mappa is awesome... lots of personality!
but you are def. right I need to wait to add anything until I get back
am i right about adding the puffer before a sohal tang? and the queen angel after the sohal or should i switch that up?
It depends. Are you buying adults or juveniles? The queen will grow very large. If it were juveniles I would say the tang, then the puffer, then the angel.

sepulatian

I want about a 4" puffer... 5-6" sohal... and about a 6" queen
The order I said would work best. The Sohal will be a bit shy at first and the queen will be bossy and large. The puffer may nip at new fish, but not likely a larger queen.

fish1031

well turns out my friend might be able to stay here another 2 months!!! the votes are dead even so far...
so he can hold the mappa until i get back.
I am excited... it is an awesome fish... like a dog almost.
Anyway, sep do you think I can add the mappa first and then the sohal or should I squeeze it in first?
thanks

sepulatian

well turns out my friend might be able to stay here another 2 months!!! the votes are dead even so far...
so he can hold the mappa until i get back.
I am excited... it is an awesome fish... like a dog almost.
Anyway, sep do you think I can add the mappa first and then the sohal or should I squeeze it in first?
thanks
Don't squeeze anything. If these fish have co-existed then it will not matter in what order you put them in the tank. I understand that you like this particular puffer. Is there anything special about this sohal that would make you want this fish rather than waiting awhile before buying one?

fish1031

no i just like the sohal... i was going to order one.
but you sugessted adding the sohal before the puffer and I have to add the puffer by August 1st and I get home July 20th