Which Pump for Aqua C Skimmer

petem

I'm looking to purchase a Remora Aqua C with or w/o drain fitting (what's the difference) but it comes with three different pumps to choose. The Maxi jet 1200 (least expensive) the Rio 1400, and the Magdrive (most expensive) Is the most expensive the best? not necessarily right? This is for a 72 bowfront which is going from FOWLR to part reef.

chilwil84

i have the mag in a pro version you are paying more for the life of the pump it may perform better but i am not going to say something that i cant prove

f14peter

As ChilWil said, the pump for a Remora is completely seperate from the skimmer itself attached by a short piece of vinyl tubing and can be replaced quite easily. I got a pro with the lower rated Rio, but a Mag was an option.
I understand that the Remoras work a bit better with the higher rated pump. Considering that there's no moving parts what so ever in the skimmer and it relies solely upon the pump to push the water through it and create the bubbles, that doesn't surprise me.

f14peter

Originally Posted by PeteM
The pump is the only part that stays submerged?
Yeppers, the skimmer itself hangs, in its entirity, off the back of the tank. The only other part in/near the tank itself is the output return, a ramp where the water flows back into the tank, but it barely touches the surface of the water.
AquaC also makes a two-chambered box that goes in the tank, one encasing the pump and the other recieving the output of the skimmer, which is then returned to the tank through a hole in the bottom of the box. This serves two functions . . . it ensures that the water entering the skimmer is only from the surface, and it cuts back on microbubbles from the output.
Interestingly, I ran mine without the box for a while, but once I put it on I found it much less visually offensive than just the pump. Unless the white lights are on, it really blends into the black background and the flat sides don't impose on the aesthetics of the tank like a pump dangling there.

daninct

For my 72 BF I tried the 1200 and did the skimmer box but did not go with the drain attachment. I did not like the set up at all. I think the smaller pump did not push the volume I needed and I shortened the distance of the pump to surface as much as I could. I also did not like the noise of this unit. It was very loud compared to the SS 65 I had. I had the thing running a month and only had to dump the cup once. Put back the SS65 and I immediately was producing the green skim.
I did not try to get a larger pump I just went back to the SS65.
Why did I swap in the first place? I heard it was a very good skimmer and it had a lower profile for a HOB skimmer.

chilwil84

mine produces less than my seaclone but it is a lot darker (which you can tell when there is less in the cup) meaning it is producing a dryer foam, i have the mag on the pro version

1knight164

Originally Posted by chilwil84
mine produces less than my seaclone but it is a lot darker (which you can tell when there is less in the cup) meaning it is producing a dryer foam, i have the mag on the pro version
Ditto that. I had a Prizm that filled faster than my Ramora, but the Ramora had a thicker skimmate.

petem

My prizm started off fine, but it seems like every other day, it stops drawing up anything. I always have to re-prime it. What is the ss65? is that another pump?

petem

Also, If I order the Rio1400, it seems that the size of the skimmer increases in length. I dont know if I have room behind the tank. I have a "half-wall" Unless I pull the tank forward a bit, but I think that's asking for a disaster to happen. I've had problems with Maxi jet powerheads. I have one 900 in my tank now.