Which pump should I get???

jden092901

I'll be setting up my 120 in about a month or so and I need a return pump. The tank is in the wall, downstairs. It's drilled and I will have one sea swirl. My sump is a 40 gallon. The pump will need to pump about 6ft high. I dont know how much flow I need. I will buy to koralia powerheads as well. I just want there to be plenty of flow for my SPS corals. What pump and size should I get?
Thank you,
Joshua

jden092901

I had the tank drilled with custom overflows installed. Im new to drilled tanks so I dont know much about it. One hole is about one and a half inches, the other is one inch.

pbnj

Well, to give you a point of reference, my 75g has a 600GPH CPR overflow box with a 1" hose going down to the sump. I have a Mag-Drive 1800GPH pump (monster) pushing water through a 3/4" return hose, but first it goes through a chiller, then back up into the display tank. All in all, the length of the return hose is about 10ft and the waterflow returning is still very strong.
You can probably do fine with a Mag-Drive 12 (1200GPH) for a 120g tank and a 6ft return.
My pump's in the sump. I've never used an external pump, so I can't speak to them.

forddna

I prefer slightly slower return pumps to keep water in the sump longer. I have a 960gph return pump on my 220g. I've thought of upgrading to a 1200gph one, but I don't really see the point in it. My returns are rated for 1400gph total...700gph each.
I agree with using a Mag Drive. Quiet, doesn't get hot, easy to find. I have one on my skimmer, submersed. My return is an Eheim. It's only slightly louder and slightly warmer. And I do mean SLIGHTLY. Both are nearly silent!
You really need to just make sure your return pump doesn't outperform your drain. If your drain can flow 1200gph, you don't want a 1800gph return pump. You can have one slower with no problem.