Which return pump for my sump?

tigershark

I have a 60 GAL tank that is 18 inches tall and it sits on top of a 30 inch stand. I have an over flow box inside the tank that will drain into my sump underneath. The LFS recommends that I use at least a RIO 1700 for my return pump. This pump does about 642 GPH. Is this too much? They said anything less would not have enough pressure to get the water up to the top of my tank efficiently but I would rather get a smaller pump like the RIO 1100 (300GPH) or the 1400 (375GPH) if possible. Any thoughts?

melbournefl

From what I've read, the Rio is probably not the pump you want, that said, make sure you install a valve between the pump and the tank on the return line, then you can regulate the water flow to whatever works best for your tank. For what it's worth, you might look into the Mag Drive brand, I've heard some pretty good things about them. You might also remember, the odds are you're gonna want to upgrade your tank in the near future so you might buy more pump then you need now LOL :D Be sure the valve you use to regulate the return flow goes on the output side of the pump, don't try to regulate by controlling the input to the pump, this can cause damage to the pump.
Just my .02,
Paul

tigershark

Well the Mag Drive 1.9 says it can pump about 135GPH at 4' Do you think this would be decent flow? My water would cycle through the sump twice per hour at this rate. I dont really want to spend that much more on my tank because I really dont have money for it. Also where do I get a control for the return?

melbournefl

you can pick up valves at any home improvement or hardware store. What kind of tank are you setting up? I ask because the circulation requirements vary based on what the tank is going to house.
Later,
Paul

tigershark

The mag 9 looks pretty nice too but my funds are kinda low right now. I am setting up a 60 Gal reef tank. I have about 45 LBS of LR curing right now and after the tank cycles, I will try and make my sand bed more live. I have a couple power heads for circulation and then a seaclone skimmer which will be in my sump. I have all ready gone waaaaay over my budget with this setup so I cant really afford all the top of the line equipment. But I am hoping that if I check all my levels frequently, do regular water changes and give it a little TLC that I can make it work with what I have :D

broomer5

I know budgets are easy to blow in this hobby.
But I would not skimp on a return pump.
MagDrives are much better suited for your application than the Rio's are IMO.
Sounds like you have an internal overflow - right ?
Ask your LFS what the overflow is "rated" for in gph.
Then compare MagDrives
If I had the choice of a Rio over a Mag - I'd pick the Mag anyday of the week.
A Mag 7 or even a Mag 5 may work out well for you - again depending on the rating of the overflow.
You can pcik up a Mag5 for around $43.00 online - or less.
But I think that may be too little - check with your LFS first and find out.

tigershark

The LFS told me to get the RIO 1700 and said it would be perfect. They are charging and arm, leg and and eye for it tho, about $65!!!! But I can afford about a $40 pump online so maybe a bigger mag than the 1.9 would be in my budget. My tank does have a built in overflow with about a 1.5" drain hole.

broomer5

:eek: $65.00 !!
you can get a Rio1700 online for $25.99 and it's still a rip off IMO.
If the Rio1700 is what the LFS suggests
Rio1700 at 4 feet of head put out around:
350 gph
Mag Drive #5 at 4 feet = 310 $42.95
Mag Drive #7 at 4 feet = 480 $47.95
I'd go for the Mag7 with a $5.00 PVC ball valve from Home Depot.
You'd have a good reliable pump with some control too.

twoods71

I have a LFS that sells CA pumps rated at 750 for $40. Pretty darn cheap and so far the 2 I have work like a charm, very quite also.
Anyone else have experience with the CA pumps. They seem to be very good pumps for the money and am curious to know of others experiences with them.

tigershark

That is definately a RIP OFF!!! Thats what I told him too. He said he could give me 15% off but thats it. I just laughed at him and said I'll get it online. They did give me a good price on my tank tho, 60GAL plexi, black back, with built in overflow for $190. But everything else I will order online hahaha.