Which salt is the best for water

uno

My grandmas birthday is coming up and I want to give her a new fish tank(this might be her last pet).It has been around 6-7 years I've had my fish tank so I forgot which salt I used. Please tell me which brands are the best. P.S. How much should I use.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by UNO
http:///forum/post/2618917
My grandmas birthday is coming up and I want to give her a new fish tank(this might be her last pet).It has been around 6-7 years I've had my fish tank so I forgot which salt I used. Please tell me which brands are the best. P.S. How much should I use.

You are going to get a lot of different answers. Will the tank be fish only? I use reef crystals and it is about 1 cup of salt per 2.5 gallons of water roughly.

dawman

The "best salt" question will get you many different answers . This is because nobody has the same type of water coming out of their faucets . There are many good brands of salt . I would start with a small portion of whichever salt you pick and then test your water after a few days . I used oceanic for years when I was using tap water , ever since I switched to R.O. water the only salt that would keep my KH and calcium in place with the right PH was Kent coral Pro salt .

sepulatian

Originally Posted by UNO
http:///forum/post/2618917

If she isn't going to be able to care for it then you may want to skip the salt tank as a present. She will be dealing with cycling, daily checks, and all of that. If the tank isn't maintained properly then grandma will have her fish die. Seriously think this through. Are you going to be there every day to check on her readings?

M

markeo99

freshwater is way less hassle if she would get enjoyment out of that a betta or something pretty

uno

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2619278
freshwater is way less hassle if she would get enjoyment out of that a betta or something pretty
She has 3 glowlight tetras. But she has had them about 4-5 years. They are about to die I guess.

robdog696

I say go for it. Obviously, you care for her a lot. They don't have fish tanks in every nursing home for no reason. This is a great gift for someone trying to enjoy the latter years of a wonderful life, if you ask me. You might have to make frequent visits if you don't already (weekly) to help her with the tank though. I would recommend a 24 gallon nano. When you get into larger tanks you start talking about minimum 5 gallon water changes. Five gallons is a heavy load for an elderly person. For a 24 gallon nano water changes would be reasonable, and she could keep a reasonable amount of fish and corals. I would also focus on getting fish with personality rather than appearance. Some very amusing fish to watch include any hawkfish, tailspot blenny, sixline wrasse, clingfish, and of course clownfish. I use Instant Ocean salt. Though, it is probably more important to use what is readily available to you than what is "best". If you have an LFS (local fish store) that you or her will be frequenting then I would use whatever brand they sell. Most LFS will only carry one brand. Best of luck!