Which Salt??

whyamisofl

I am currently using Tropic Marin Pro Reef, but can't afford to be buying that anymore!!!
Specs
Tropic Marin Pro Reef - 450 calcium - 8.5 Alk - 1380 Mag
Oceanic - 580 calcium - 8.5 Alk - 1650 Mag
Kent - 540 calcium - 11 Alk - 1200 Mag
This is for a softie tank..............

metweezer

A lot of people seem to like Oceanic. I will stick with Tropic Marin. It is not the most expensive part of this hobby

whyamisofl

It is right now......I have spare pumps, heaters, etc......
So right now its the maintenance that is killing me in the $$$ department.

candycane

Everyone in this state (CO) carries Seachem. Or almost everyone. I think we have a distribution hub in Denver or something. Even if we didn't, I would still use Seachem Reefsalt.

whyamisofl

SeaChem Marine Salt
500 cal
10 alk
1400 mag
SeaChem Reef Salt
540 cal
10 alk
1450 mag
Problem is, the LFS that I have no problem giving my money to, only carries - Tropic Marin, Oceanic, Kent, and Instant Ocean.
Not a fan of ordering online as I don't live in the best neighborhood!

brenda5826

i use oceanic but have been wondering about this
D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro PLUS Salt Mix
Parameters when mixed to a S.G: of 1.025 @ 25°C = 35.5 ppt
Parameters Level Range Units
pH 8.3 8.2-8.4
dKH 9.3 8.7-9.8
Calcium (Ca2+) 440 430-460 mg/l
Magnesium (Mg2+) 1340 1300-1380 mg/l
Chloride (Cl-) 19550 19960-20130 mg/l
Potassium (K+) 410 380-420 mg/l

T

tizzo

I used to use Oceanic, but when I moved to FL, I couldn't find it, so I started using Tropic Marin Pro, and it's OK. I am still switching back to Oceanic.
The salt you choose hinges on how much you wanna tweak the parameters. But since yours is a softie tank, then heck, instant ocean would work for you.
The perfectly balanced alk/calcium comboand the excess minerals added, more applies to the stonies.

whyamisofl

You really think IO would work???? I used their stuff in the past, but wanted to do everything right in this tank, HA HA
I am dosing B-Ionic at this point (Alk and Calcium) as those parameters were out of wack.
I would only be saving $10/bucket, and dosing for Calcium would cost more than that....
Reef Crystals
420 cal
12 alk
1260 mag

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by whyamisofl
http:///forum/post/2678209
You really think IO would work???? I used their stuff in the past, but wanted to do everything right in this tank, HA HA
I am dosing B-Ionic at this point (Alk and Calcium) as those parameters were out of wack.
Reef Crystals
420 cal
12 alk
1260 mag
Pretty much no matter which salt you choose, the parameters will be outa whack. Difference in price is usually the difference in the amount of testing and supplementing.
While Oceanic has adequate magnesium and calcium, you still hafta tweak the alk.
While tropic marin Pro has adequate mag and alk, you still hafta add a little calcium.
And with instant ocean, you hafta add and tweak magnesium, calcium and alk.
So, any salt is fine, you just hafta play with the parameteres.
And since it's a softie, you don't have to have a calcium level of 420. You'd do fine at 380 with a balanced alk level of 3 dkh.
You don't have to spend a lot of money hiking up the parameters, because for your tank, it's just not necessary.

xtreeme

I used to use Oceanic, but when I moved to FL, I couldn't find it, so I started using Tropic Marin Pro, and it's OK. I am still switching back to Oceanic.
Im getting oceanic from florida. My girlfriend is in tampa on vacation and found it there. Getting 200gal mix.

metweezer

Originally Posted by xtreeme
http:///forum/post/2678251
Im getting oceanic from florida. My girlfriend is in tampa on vacation and found it there. Getting 200gal mix.
I hope you are not expecting her to carry that bucket back from here

psu

I was using TMP but also switched because of cost to Reef Crystals. Very happy w/ the results.

alohami

Originally Posted by psu
http:///forum/post/2679315
I was using TMP but also switched because of cost to Reef Crystals.
Same here. I still prefer Tropic Marin, but gave Reef Crystals a try because it is nearly half the cost. Reef Crystals appears to be fine too, but I do not like the brown residue I get in the mixing bucket. I'm probably going to try something else just because of this issue.

T

tizzo

Brown residue is usually an indication that your mixing bucket is being exposed to light.
If that's the case, switching salts will not matter.
I got brown residue when I used to use a translucent bin.

mr_x

i'm going to have to disagree with you tizzo, atleast when it comes to instant ocean and reef crystals. i got the same brown scum in my barrel immediately after mixing. no light in my tank room at all, besides some indirect glow from the tanks. no brown scum from oceanic, and i mix it the same way, under the same lighting.