Which Salt??

goldrush

I use reef crystals, although I'm plannning on switching to Oceanic. I used to get the dreaded "brown scum". Very simply, I vigorously stirred and stirred the salt mixture as soon as I made it and the problem went away and never came back. I thought that just putting a powerhead in for a day or 2 would mix the salt in, but it needed seperate agitation to thoroughly mix with my RO/DI water. Try it, you'll like it.

alohami

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2679385
Brown residue is usually an indication that your mixing bucket is being exposed to light.
If that's the case, switching salts will not matter.
I got brown residue when I used to use a translucent bin.
While this makes sense to me in theory, I'm not sure it's correct in my situation. I never got any residue with Tropic Marin, and I am using the same white bucket and powerhead, and it's in the exact same location as it was before. It does get some indirect light from my bathroom window, but not a lot. There is a shade tree right outside. So maybe Reef Crystals is just more sensitive to whatever causes it to react to the light? I don't know. I've also noticed I get the same brown residue around the top of my Durso standpipe in my tank as well. Reef Crystals is okay other than the residue, but I might have to bite the bullet and go back to Tropic Marin. I was totally happy with that salt, and the only problem was the price now that I'm maintaining a larger tank.

salt210

im stuck using IO until I can find someone who sells another brand. I live in orlando and all I can find in the bucket is that

alohami

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/2680019
im stuck using IO until I can find someone who sells another brand. I live in orlando and all I can find in the bucket is that
I always have to order online. No one near me carries anything in a bucket for a decent price. There are a couple of online vendors that regularly have good deals on salt.