which skimmer do I need?

stdreb27

Check out the "hang on" aquamedics turboflotor. I was really happy with mine. You could hang it on the side of your wetdry. They are pretty much a plug and play system.

frogdog

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2809577
Check out the "hang on" aquamedics turboflotor. I was really happy with mine. You could hang it on the side of your wetdry. They are pretty much a plug and play system.
would the part that goes into the tank to suck in the water go deep enough? Theres a good 7" from the top of the unit to the water surface.

wattsupdoc

Any of those skimmers would be inferior to the Octo Extreme 160. I'm sure it will work in 6.5 in. just might not pull quite as much air. There's no reason not to add livestock without the skimmer. MANY people run successful reefs without a skimmer at all. Do a water change and start stocking.

frogdog

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2811036
Any of those skimmers would be inferior to the Octo Extreme 160. I'm sure it will work in 6.5 in. just might not pull quite as much air. There's no reason not to add livestock without the skimmer. MANY people run successful reefs without a skimmer at all. Do a water change and start stocking.

Ok, if you're sure this one will work with my set up, I'll get one ordered ASAP.
i'll watch this thread for another day or so, and then order the one you recommended.
thx

frogdog

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2811036

Ok, I was reading about this skimmer, and its an in sump skimmer w/ a footprint of 8" x 10".
my sump is 11 1/2" X 10 3/4". It seems this one will take up the entire area, with no room for my pump...

ideas? damn this is frustrating.

frogdog

should I get a seperate tank for the skimmer and pump? Like a 10gal or something.
I dont know wtf to do

grubsnaek

another tank is a possibility. if you have the room for it, it would def work...
or another option would be drill a hole in your sump for a bulk head and plumb the return pump like that...
just a suggestion to you. to make things alot easier. i would consider removing that sump. get something like a 20L or so and make this your sump. with doing this, you'll have a chamber for your intake with the skimmer, then baffle into a fuge (deep sand bed,live rock, live rubble rock, macro), then baffle into the return chamber where your pump will be held....
seems like alot but much easier, a little DIY project, more hands on, you can design the sump any way you want, and you'll get rid of those bio-balls...

ca161406

this is the reason i ditched the wet/dry that came with my tank and built a sump myself. more room= more water and more space for everything :)