Which skimmer do you run?

rlablan

I am finally going to get a skimmer for my reef tank! I had a question about what brands are good and what are not. I know alot of people run skimmers, so I would like to know who likes theirs and who is impressed with theirs?
The skimmer I have been looking at was recommended to me and it seems really nice. I don't know anything about skimmers and I can't find any reviews on this one.
It is called a SWC XTREME 200. It is a 1 sicce pump and it's got some other stuff like a turbulence reducer and it's got an extra wide neck or something. It says that it allows really good oxygen and gas exchange. It is about 280.00 and it is rated for about 300 gallons.
Also says that it pulls less than 25 watts per pump. Is that a pretty good rate?
I run a 200 gallon reef. I want something over sized and I don't really want to pay over 400 bucks for anything. I just want a really big, bad skimmer that will pull TONS out of the water. My tank has a decently heavy bioload.
Thanks very much in advance.

tetsuo

I'm in the market for a new skimmer and so far I've heard great things about the Octopus extreme models. I'm running a 125g and so far the extreme 200 model seems like the winner for me. It's in the $250-300 range.

reddhead

I have a Reef Octopus. I actually have 2. I have one on my 60 gal and one on my 125 gal. It does a really great job at removed junk.

rigdon87

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3152702
I am finally going to get a skimmer for my reef tank! I had a question about what brands are good and what are not. I know alot of people run skimmers, so I would like to know who likes theirs and who is impressed with theirs?
The skimmer I have been looking at was recommended to me and it seems really nice. I don't know anything about skimmers and I can't find any reviews on this one.
It is called a SWC XTREME 200. It is a 1 sicce pump and it's got some other stuff like a turbulence reducer and it's got an extra wide neck or something. It says that it allows really good oxygen and gas exchange. It is about 280.00 and it is rated for about 300 gallons.
Also says that it pulls less than 25 watts per pump. Is that a pretty good rate?
I run a 200 gallon reef. I want something over sized and I don't really want to pay over 400 bucks for anything. I just want a really big, bad skimmer that will pull TONS out of the water. My tank has a decently heavy bioload.
I have the swc extreme 300(msx 300)on my 120 reef and it does a GREAT job(i paid $399.99).I think the 300's are rated at like a 700g but companys tend to over rate their products.But i thought it was a general rule of thumb to buy a skimmer rated for twice the tank
,so you would be lookin for one rated for 400g. the msx's are good skimmers just not the best quality,you get what you pay for i guess.

P.S i wouldnt recomend skimping on a skimmer youll always regreat not going bigger or better so IMO don't go cheap, if you have to save up for awhile to get a good one then do so

mrinelfrlz

i have a ASM G2 skimmer it worked when i had my 75 w/55 sump/refug
but i was in the process of upgrading to a 220 gal and started in the basement and replaced my 55 with a 125 gal sump/refug/skim/frag grow out
and my little G2 just didnt keep up
and now since they closed my job i am on stand still until i go get more training and find another good job so ive been modifying equipment and buying used lol
here is my modified skimmer it is a true work horse now

rlablan

Thanks for all the info guys.
I did try to google it, and I googled swc xtreme 200 reviews and got nothing. Every site said "no reviews for this product."
I don't know any of the brands you guys where talking about and what size I would need. I just want something that will work well.
Rigdon- Are you saying that the skimmer isn't nice? I mean does it do a good job removing junk or not? You said something about it being cheap?? Is it made cheap or what???
Thanks guys!

rigdon87

http:///forum/post/3152992
Thanks for all the info guys.
I did try to google it, and I googled swc xtreme 200 reviews and got nothing. Every site said "no reviews for this product."
I don't know any of the brands you guys where talking about and what size I would need. I just want something that will work well.
Rigdon- Are you saying that the skimmer isn't nice? I mean does it do a good job removing junk or not? You said something about it being cheap?? Is it made cheap or what???
Thanks guys!

Mechanicly yes it does a great job but like i said the quality isnt the best.with in a week part of the lid broke off and the drain plug on the collection cup snapped off as well,and not to mention all the trouble i had to go through to get the mesh wheels to work right
.their customer service is horrible too.Im not trying to steer you away from the msx lineup,overall its a good skimmer it just has some minor things they need to improve but your gonna have that with any skimmer.Very rarely are you 100% pleased with somethin, right..

rlablan

Well, I dk.... I am not willing to pay this much for something that is just okay and breaks within the week.
lol cranberry... the skimmer is over 1000K!!! lol
I don't want to spend more than 300 bucks or so...

bullitr

I have a very noisy swc fndw 400 with only 3 pumps running because if i run all the pumps it is close to 300 watts for a skimmer and that is downright ridiculous with 3 Pumps it still use about 195 watts but do a great job. If i the money i want ATB xl cone only 60 watts buts its $5500.i wish i just get a reeflo orca 250 with dart gold pump for slighty more than my current skimmer
via iphone

zsqure

Don't be afraid of buying someones used skimmer, especially if it is a premium unit. Euro reef, Reef Flow, Bubble king, Deltec. The folks here on the boards can give good info. Many like their msx's, ASM, many like the Octopus stuff. Research is what it is all about. I am on my 3rd skimmer currently Euro reef RC80, previous was AquaC Remora Pro, before that was I don't remember but it's still in the basement.

lareefkeeper

Juts to throuw in my $.02, I run an MSX 200 on my 180 gallon and as was said earlier the fit and finish isnt the greatest (still pretty good) but it performs like a champ. +1 zsqure on the used skimmer notion floated earlier as it is one of the most important and most expensive peice of equiptment you will buy for your tank...so make it count.

rlablan

I think I am going to get the SWC 200... It came highly recommended and If you guys like yours, I think that is good enough for me.

rigdon87

kool keep us updated and let us know when you get it, ill try to help you install the mesh wheel, as it will pull more scfh...
Good luck kid

dsbdude

i have an aqua C EV-180 for my 150 gallon tank..! It uses a newer, unique way of skimming(spray injection).
One of the good companies out there! Just my input...even though you may have made your decision...

rlablan

I am not sure if I am 100%, it's just that i haven't found anything that is the right price AND will fit in my sump. Every sump has been too tall so far, except the SWC. I have a max of 22''.

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3152702

I run an MRC-3 Dual Beckett skimmer. This thing is a monster, and is expandable in that you can add another column to increase its capacity when needed. Not cheap but pulls crap out like there is no tomorrow.

rlablan

So I don't want the SWC skimmer anymore. I am still looking into stuff. They are just all really expensive. I am still not seeing anything that has caught my eye and the height restriction is really sucky too.
Any more options for me?
Thanks guys.