Which Skimmer to Buy?

trigger78

I want to add a protien skimmer to my 55 FOWLR. I need a hang on model. Could someone tell me which brand to get. Heard all the good stuff about euro-reefs but can't find one that states hang on so will have to go with some other brand. Any input please. -Alex

nm reef

If you gotta have a hang on I'd suggest a CPR BacPac 2R...especially on a 55 gal display or less. For a fish only with a low bio-load I think they work fine. I ran one for over 2 years on a 58 Oceanic...the same skimmer is on that display but my nephew now owns it. For a small hang on its not a bad little skimmer. I don't believe EuroReef makes a hang on model...but if you could develope a sump then I'd say go for the EuroReef!
They make very good skimmers that are worth the expense.:yes:

i like my prizm deluxe. ive had it for a month or so and it does a good job... prolly not as good as the others, but its pretty cheap if uget them on ----.

niger12

I use a Remora Pro and it does an excelent job. The Pro model is reated to 120gal but I don't think I would use it on anything larger than 75. Everyone with an AquaC Remora seems to be very happy with it. The CPR Backpack is also a very good choice and less money to.

nas19320

I have been running the Remora Pro with Mag 3 on my 55 for about 6 months now. I love it and it performs way better than my sea clone did. I also have the preskimmer box which is great because it keeps my surface water crystal clear and stops any micro bubbles. The preskimmer box takes up a considerable amount of space but its a scarifice I'm willing to make. The remora pro skimmer was one of the best investments I've made. I can't compare it to the CPR as I've never used one.

rwhite

We've had good luck with our Prizm on our 55 reef, we dont have a lot of bioload as far as a big reef may be concerned (only 'shrooms, zoos, 4 fish, 3 shrimp, 1 crab, and various snails and hermits). Not sure if thats a lot or not, but seems minimal to me. We're trying to add things slowly to make sure everything works well together, just in case theres a problem. We want to add more corals, but trying for easy to keep ones. Anyway, price is lower than some and, unfortunately, it may be a trial and error decision. Good luck!