Which SPS is right for me?

mckevinfang

just started a 10gal tank. The specs. are at my other thread in the nano forum. I wanted to get an idea of what are a few SPS that i can keep with great color and perfect for my tank and lighting.
- 175w MH 15k w/2 18w 50/50 PC's raised 12in above the tank with no top on the tank.
I've been looking at all sorts of Acropora are they ok for me? any help what so ever is very welcomed!!
Thanks in advance

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2784116
just started a 10gal tank. The specs. are at my other thread in the nano forum. I wanted to get an idea of what are a few SPS that i can keep with great color and perfect for my tank and lighting.
- 175w MH 15k w/2 18w 50/50 PC's raised 12in above the tank with no top on the tank.
I've been looking at all sorts of Acropora are they ok for me? any help what so ever is very welcomed!!
Thanks in advance

montipora digitata!!! as beginner as it gets.

paintballer768

Montiporas and birdsnests are always good beginners. Its going to be really tough keeping the parameters stable enough for them to do well in a 10 gallon, unless its at work or somewhere you can monitor it.

reefkprz

in order of ease, I would go motipora digita or capricornis, then poccilopora, then deepwater acropora, then regular acropora, seritapora (birds nest) I wouldnt consider a good begginner coral as often the lack of flow and light to the inner portions of the coral as it grows causes recession, they are also more sensitave to water conditions than some of the others listed.. with your lighting your probably capable of supporting just about any SPS as long as your tank stays stable enough for them.

mckevinfang

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME ADVICE
- Can you guys post some pictures for me of good beginners.
- Can you tell me the ideal parameters in order to keep SPS's happy.
- What supplements should i purchase in order to maintain or reach perfect parameters.
- Do I need any other equipment for them?
thanks again

paintballer768

Okay heres the key to SPS: stability. I can post some pics of my frags if you want help IDing things or something, but for now theyre only frags in my tank. I just started like 2 months ago, after tweak after tweak to the tank in preparation.
Youre going to want to test for the normal array (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) along with calcium and alkalinity. I tested for a month to get the feel for where my tank usually sits at, but I dont test anymore because I do weekly water changes. The new water replaces everything to standard levels without supplements.
You shouldnt really need to dose anything regularly in a 10 gallon, just do like a 2-3 gallon change weekly and itll be great.
What kind of flow do you have in the tank?

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2784351
Okay heres the key to SPS: stability. I can post some pics of my frags if you want help IDing things or something, but for now theyre only frags in my tank. I just started like 2 months ago, after tweak after tweak to the tank in preparation.
Youre going to want to test for the normal array (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) along with calcium and alkalinity. I tested for a month to get the feel for where my tank usually sits at, but I dont test anymore because I do weekly water changes. The new water replaces everything to standard levels without supplements.
You shouldnt really need to dose anything regularly in a 10 gallon, just do like a 2-3 gallon change weekly and itll be great.
What kind of flow do you have in the tank?
Well i will soon have the
- CPR CYHO II PROTEIN SKIMMER which runs on a Maxi-Jet 1200 (280gph)
Currently i have a
- Cascade 100 HOB filter (100gph)
- Odyssea ex 100 powerhead (100gph)
I have heard that, that should be enough but if not i could purchase another Odyssea ex 100 powerhead there only like $9.00. do i need more flow?
if you could please post your pics for idea of what they look like thanks

paintballer768

#1 is A. carolinia, or one of the other similar deepwater species. Dunno bout the other ones, #3 might be A. humilis. They would do just fine.
Your flow sounds sufficient, just try to bounce it off the tank walls, dont aim it straight at the corals. IMO see how your flow works, and if it doesnt do too well, get another Odyssea. It might take a while before they take off growing, they have a sort of acclimation period.

paintballer768

Yes, clams and SPS are fine. SPS just require what I said above. Clams might not be a good idea, because many of them get like 8-10" long (maximas and croceas), and others get much larger

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2785119
Yes, clams and SPS are fine. SPS just require what I said above. Clams might not be a good idea, because many of them get like 8-10" long (maximas and croceas), and others get much larger
Thanks!!
The clam is $40.00 is that normal? its about 2in right now do they grow pretty fast? how long can i have him until i got to move him into a bigger tank? cant find any 1in though

i also need an id please:

paintballer768

Clams are usually sold about $60, well I bought my crocea for that. They usually come in around 4" because the mortality rate of clams <4 inches is high, due to their need of supplementary feedings (like phyto). Technically, all clams will accept food, but the small ones arent large enough to survive on their own.
Ive had my clam for what seems like 7 months if Id had to guess. Its grown maybe 1/4" max. You can have it for quite a while and be okay with it. Just make sure everything, like water parameters, stays in line and theyll do great. Heres a pic of my crocea clam.
I will look around and see if I can ID that.
(I apologize for the blurriness)

paintballer768

Small clams are filter feeders, meaning they like very small particle foods. Search around because Im not too sure myself, I think like DT's phytoplankton or something like that :notsure:

mckevinfang

i'll pm him later on before i pick up the clam sometime next week!!

has anybody ID the coral yet?
can some of you guys post a picture of a SPS tank? that would be awesome!!

gatorwpb

With tank that small, just make sure you can keep your water parameters stable on a daily and nightly basis. It is difficult to do and requires detailed care. But you will be rewarded with a small beautiful creation when it works.
Temperature is an issue with a tank that small because you may have fluctuations between when the lights are on and off. Also, you have to keep up with topoff because of evaporation. Plus the regular nitrate, pH, salinity, calcium, magnesium and alkalinity.
Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2786612
can some of you guys post a picture of a SPS tank? that would be awesome!!

Here's mine

mckevinfang

OH MY FREAKING GOD!! THAT IS AN AMAZING SPS TANK!!!
i will always check my stuff daily to get into a routine!!
I HOPE MINE CAN BE EVEN A LITTLE CLOSE TO THAT!! BRAVO

ANYBODY ELSE HAVE SOME TANK SHOTS??

paintballer768

Mine are just frags right now, but heres a pic of the Tank of the Month from another forum...
All credit goes to the owner, Chingchai Uekrongtham!