Which substrate would you go with?

gen1dustin

I'm about to get me some sand for my 55g reef. I would like live sand like everyone, but it's costly. So far now I'll just get standard sand & buy a few pounds of live sand after the tank is cycled & add it on top of the old sand. Here's the two I'm looking at either;
Carib Sea Aragonite - Aragamax sand, This super-fine sand (0.2 to 1.22 mm grain size) is ideal for shallow static beds and bottom covering of up to 1" in depth. Also known as "oolitic" sand, this sugar-sized sand naturally aids in the reduction of nitrates. Its fine round grains pass easily through the gills of gobies and other sand-sifting organisms. The smooth, round grains are gentle on soft-bellied sharks and rays. Pure and safe – metal, ash, and silica free. White in color. 30 pounds.
or
Tidal Marine - Meridian Oolitic , * All-natural aragonite substrates ideal for saltwater aquariums
* Helps stabilize calcium and alkalinity levels and prevents large pH declines
* Porous structure and size ideal for beneficial bacteria growth
All-natural aragonite substrates for all types of saltwater aquariums. Helps stabilize calcium and alkalinity levels and prevents large pH declines. Six popular styles and colors to complete any look.

anonome

I have always used Carib Sea Aragonite with very good results. I used Aragonite to cover about 2-3 inches, then added my bags of live sand. You don't really need to wait for the cycle, the live sand will speed things along nicely. Obviously, you will need to turn off all powerheads when adding sand or it will blow around a lot. Your rock is live, so you really don't need that many bags of live sand. In time all sand will become live, so basicly, you don't really need it at all if you have good aged live rock. Just have patience if budget is tight.