Which T5 lights to get??

claymc

I know there are 50-100 different kinds of t5 bulbs out there..
What collection of lights do you have on your tank. I am getting a 5 bulb canopy, and wondering which actual bulbs to get to fit in them.
Can everyone who has t5's post their favorite selection of bulbs they have in their setup, and why they chose them, and if they had it to do over again, which would you get different (if any)
Thanks!
-clayton

wangotango

I'm running two Geisemann pure actinics, one Geisemann aquablue + (11K), one UVL 75/25 (14k), and one ATI 12k. It gives a nice whitish/pale blue look. I don't know if it's the best combo out there, but the color is nice and the growth is good too (lps, sps, clams).
Stick with Geisemann, UVL, and ATI bulbs. Somwhere on -- is a list of bulbs with their PAR ratings incase you're interested.
-Justin

claymc

I found that post.. but wasn't sure about the color of the lights.. The PAR is nice to know, but would like to find the actual Temp.
anyone know of a calculator out there for this? drop down the different lights and it would tell you the overall average color temp and PAR?
great idea.. anyone....????
-clayton

isistius

i'm pretty sure par and color temp aren't related. the color is all about what YOU want to see. the lower the kelvin (closer to 6500K) the redder the light spectrum (closer to natureal sunlight), while the higher the kelvin (approacing 20000k) the bluer the bulb. i've seen an amazing set up using ati bulbs with a 60%/40% split of ati 12000k and 18000k. that's what my next combo will be........

claymc

Thanks!
Yeah, I know they're different.. Temp is the color, and PAR is the 'amount of light' the bulb puts out..
but with all of the data out there, I would be inclinded to think, that if I say I want an ATI blah, and a UV blah, it would say, on average it would be 350 PAR and 13000k
Thanks for the insight on your next setup.. I'll look into those!