which test kit chemical drops or strips

seasalt101

strip test or test tube which is most acurate right now i'm using saltwater master it only has ph, am, trites, and trates, is there a kit that contains calcium, alkaline, phosphates and the basic four? thanks...tobin

rebelprettyboy

Hate strips!!! Test tubes are way m,re accurate. U get any moisture on those strips and the readings will be horrible and it is hard to compare the results to me.
And are u using the API mater salt water test kit?
If you go to that PetPlace -mart and get the REFF MASTER TEST KIT in the tiny saltwater section they have. Thats what I use it by API. It has calcium, carbonate hardness, phophate, and nitrates

seasalt101

thanks denzel that is a little sw section i try not to go there but i gotta go to midland tomorrow anyway how did your situation come out?...tobin

sepulatian

Originally Posted by seasalt101
thanks denzel that is a little sw section i try not to go there but i gotta go to midland tomorrow anyway how did your situation come out?...tobin
Test strips are horribly inaccurate. You have to have a liquid kit.

rebelprettyboy

lol yeah it is. Just make sure u grab the reef master saltwater test kit its sitting right next to the master test kit.
Its coming along alright. Ammonia is down to about .15 now so lower than yesterday.
I even set up a 10 gallon nano tank today I have it cyclying right now. I plan on gettin some rocks from Buddy this weekend for it. I have a pretty deep sand bed. 20 lbs of aragonite and 20lbs of live sand. Stock filter on it and stock lights for now. The hood has 50 watts of light power but idk if those lights would work or not. I have one powerhead 175 gph and the fliter is 100 gph so thats 20x turnover rate.

rebelprettyboy

nah mine is broke i dont know whats wrong with it. But it picked a great time to break may I add. Graduation is in 4 weeks (I cant wait)... So ill tell my grand ma thats what i want and get a real nice one!!
And my girlfreind cant even find hers. Ill remind her to look for it again in the morning!

seasalt101

congrats on the graduation, man thats a lifetime ago for me, as soon as a camera shows up post lots of pics ok, and did your other corals make it?...tobin

seasalt101

i was figuring the strips were crap, i guess it is just time to get a new kit hopefully that will fix my nitrate issue, but everything in the tank looks healthy, so i don't know what to do but increase the waterchanges got some more mixin now, i'm runnin low on salt too time to switch brands anyway, try that tropic marine reef stuff see how it goes...tobin

lil-miss nano

I know the strips are cheaper too but not worth the time. Get the salt water masters test kit. Is perfect. Covers the ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and ph, you may also consider purchading a copper kit seperatly to. Do you have a tank with a built in filter? If so there may be stuff breaking down in there causing the nitrate problem. Also there may not be enough water flow in the fuge to keep the rock going, if you have a fuge??

seasalt101

that is the kit i have now i am going to upgrade to the reef version of the same brand, i've never used strips, i was just fishing the idea out there, see what came back, and the survey says strips suck...thanks for the feedback and welcome to the boards lilmsnano you got any pics of your system.....tobin

lil-miss nano

Well im actually not new. Well kinda i was using my husbands name for the past forvever, or since he joined, and yeah i have pic of my 3g, we also have a 100g, but thats really my husbands thing. Its more of a preditor tank no coral.
heres my nano
Im upgrading to a 14g bio-cube as soon as it gets here!

seasalt101

lookin good when the new tank arrives are you going to transfer all the stuff over or start fresh?...tobin

lil-miss nano

The perc jumped shipped the other day, I though I could keep him for a little bit b/c he was only 3/4in but I guess not. Now its just the clown gobie

lil-miss nano

Back now. I think I might keep the 3g up b/c I got it for my son (even though he has no clue b/c hes a baby) And its really neat having such a tiny little eco-system!

seasalt101

just had a 5 month old baby here for a month he seemed to enjoy lookin at the tank, well his eyes got big and he did not cry while lookin at it...tobin