Which trace element supplements do you use????.

efishnsea

Hello Everyone
I just started the kalk drip a couple of weeks ago, everything is great. I love it. My question is that I used to get the majority of my trace elements with my calcium additive (Natureef hardness plus). Now that my Ca is maintained there is no need for the Ca additive.
Which supplements do you use :notsure: .

Thanks
efish :happyfish nsea

lion_crazz

The things I use are:
-SeaChem kH Builder
-Marc Weiss' Coral Vital
-SeaChem Strontium
-SeaChem Iodide
Vitamin Additives
-SeaChem Reef Plus
-SeaChem Garlic Guard
-Kent Marine Zoe
-Selcon
-VitaChem
The kH builder helps keep my kH stable and higher, Marc Weiss' Coral Vital adds trace elements and vitamins to my tank for my corals, Reef Plus is a supplement I soak my frozen food in before feeding my fish, Garlic Guard is a garlic/vitamin C additive to soak food in, SeaChem Strontium/Iodide supplements on a minimum dosage to help with coral growth, and the last three on a daily rotation to add some extra vitamins to my fish food.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
The things I use are:
-SeaChem kH Builder
-Marc Weiss' Coral Vital
-SeaChem Strontium
-SeaChem Iodide
Vitamin Additives
-SeaChem Reef Plus
-SeaChem Garlic Guard
-Kent Marine Zoe
-Selcon
-VitaChem
The kH builder helps keep my kH stable and higher, Marc Weiss' Coral Vital adds trace elements and vitamins to my tank for my corals, Reef Plus is a supplement I soak my frozen food in before feeding my fish, Garlic Guard is a garlic/vitamin C additive to soak food in, SeaChem Strontium/Iodide supplements on a minimum dosage to help with coral growth, and the last three on a daily rotation to add some extra vitamins to my fish food.
Thanks
, it looks llike you have it all covered.
Is there an all in one trace element additive that you like???

laddy

To be honest, if you use a quality salt mix these trace elements really aren't needed. I don't use any trace elements at all in both my tanks and haven't noticed any ill effect.

efishnsea

Originally Posted by Laddy
To be honest, if you use a quality salt mix these trace elements really aren't needed. I don't use any trace elements at all in both my tanks and haven't noticed any ill effect.
I havent done a water change in 1.5 years, havent used any salt?????

promisetbg

I use B-Ionic, the Ca part has the other trace elements needed. And even though you drip kalk, you will need CA. Water changes do not put a tank back in line with Ca & Alk generally. Lots of factors effect a tank and it's parameters. Chaeto and corals grow, or portions are removed. Or corals are added. Lots of factors to consider. I got to the "oh I can tell by looking at my tank" mentality for awhile. Big mistake! I have started testing again. Adding strontium can be dangerous, it's easy to overdose which will cause brittle corals. Iodine is another..easy to OD. Test kits for these two are also innacurate...in this case water changes are enough to usually replace those elements.

puffer32

Iuse B onic also. I just bought some iron supplement because my chaeto keeps dieing and I read adding iron helps any therories on that?

efishnsea

Originally Posted by puffer32
Iuse B onic also. I just bought some iron supplement because my chaeto keeps dieing and I read adding iron helps any therories on that?
This might sound stupid but what is chaeto
? Thanks for the reply...

mrdc

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
The things I use are:
-Marc Weiss' Coral Vital

What is you opinion on this product? I have been researching for awhile but it seems a lot of folks don't like Weiss products though I use combo-vital from time to time and my corals seem to like it.
Anyway, what I use.
Seachems KH and CA
Kent Stronium and Molybdenum
Kent Reef Elements use after water changes
Kent Magnesium
Vitachem, garlic extreme, zoe, zoecon, selcon for food soaks

mrdc

Originally Posted by efishnsea
This might sound stupid but what is chaeto
? Thanks for the reply...

chaeto is a controllable macro algae. looks kinda like Alfalfa Sprouts.
the basic idea is that desirable macro algaes, such as chaeto, eat up the same nutrients as undesirable algaes (say bryopsis, green hair, cyano, etc.)
so, you grow the chaeto in an environment that you can prune it at will (i.e. in a fuge) and let it out compete other algaes in your tank.
it also is a great place for pods n' such to live, grow, and thrive to help feed and clean your tank.

gtiguy

I agree with the regular water changes and not needing to dose any supplements, but in all fairness i would never use any marc weiss products, had a bad experience with there products and would never use again (helped create a severe algae bloom)...
Here is what i use occasionally in my system when not doing regular water changes, keep in mind that if using activated carbon most of your essential elements supplied by doing a water change will be depeled rather quickly, thats why i use the below...
Kent Marine Essential Elements
ESV Iodide/Iodine
Kent Marine Strontium/Molybedium
Purple Up Coraline Accerlator/Calcium Supplement (trying this as an experiment to see if really accels coraline or not)

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by mrdc
What is you opinion on this product? I have been researching for awhile but it seems a lot of folks don't like Weiss products though I use combo-vital from time to time and my corals seem to like it.
Anyway, what I use.
Seachems KH and CA
Kent Stronium and Molybdenum
Kent Reef Elements use after water changes
Kent Magnesium
Vitachem, garlic extreme, zoe, zoecon, selcon for food soaks
I personally like Marc Weiss' products. I have been using the Coral Vital for about a year now, and I have only ever lost one coral in this tank (a bubble coral). I am not saying that the coral vital is what is keeping my corals alive and thriving, but my theory is, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
If you use Garlic Extreme, you may want to look into SeaChem's Garlic Guard. It is a garlic additive, just like Garlic Extreme. However, there are two differences:
-Garlic Extreme is double the price and essentially you are paying more money for a glass bottle and eye dropper. You can get 8 oz. of garlic guard for $9.99, whereas, 1 oz. of garlic extreme is $14.99.
-Garlic Extreme is just garlic, whereas garlic guard is both garlic AND vitamin C.

miaheatlvr

Lets see, water changes, I add Nitromax Marine
Maintenance. Just the basics, Kent, Calcium, Stontium and Tech-1 Iodine. Weekly
Food, Every type, FROZEN cyclopeeze, Prime reef, brine, squid, silverslides, Mysis, Nori, the fozen foods soaked in altenating, Garlic Extreme and Vita-chem Except the Frozen Cyclopeeze.
And am having Wonderful Success with "LIQUID LIFE" Bio PLankton!
I feel those are the essentials, and with Regular water chages, I think LESS IS MORE, as far as adding additives. IMHO!

efishnsea

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Lets see, water changes, I add Nitromax Marine
Maintenance. Just the basics, Kent, Calcium, Stontium and Tech-1 Iodine. Weekly
Food, Every type, FROZEN cyclopeeze, Prime reef, brine, squid, silverslides, Mysis, Nori, the fozen foods soaked in altenating, Garlic Extreme and Vita-chem Except the Frozen Cyclopeeze.
And am having Wonderful Success with "LIQUID LIFE" Bio PLankton!
I feel those are the essentials, and with Regular water chages, I think LESS IS MORE, as far as adding additives. IMHO!

What is in Nitromax Marine :thinking: , who makes it???
Thanks

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by efishnsea
What is in Nitromax Marine :thinking: , who makes it???
Thanks
The Owner of my LFS and I swear by it! Good Luck!
articles
about Conditioners & Additives
Bacterial Additives
How to Adjust pH
Simplify Maintenance With Water Conditioners
More...
Nitromax Marine
Protects against ammonia buildup and provides much faster cycling times and healthier water conditions in your aquarium. Like a biological filter in a bottle! Nitromax contains over 2 billion beneficial bacteria per ounce. The only pure maximum-density blend of nitrosomonas and nitrobacter combined with oxygenating bacteria boosters for saltwater aquariums. Use one teaspoon from bottle #1 and #2 for each 10 gallons every other day until the ammonia level becomes acceptable. Use the same dose when adding new fish or doing water changes. 16 oz treats 425 gallons.