Which trigger to get mantis?

fishy7

For my next trick....
Most recent trap did not work....
:mad:
No problem....
Which trigger is known for seeking and destroying a mantis.
Here is what is in my tank. What needs to be removed for safety reasons?
All stock for the most part can be moved and kept at a friends house:
1 hammer
1 large colt leather
large fields of xenia
2 BTA
daisey polyps
7 chromis
1 pair of GSM
1 sixline
1 des jar
2 pepps
2 cleaner
1 fire shrimp.
20 or so hermits
Thanks for the help.

N

nereef

i don't know about the trigger vs. mantis battle. But if you put a trigger in the tank, you will need to remove the pepps, cleaners, and fire shrimp. removing the chromis and six-line might be a good idea also.

crox

I never heard of anyone using a trigger to kill a mantis. But triggers are natural mantis predators.

candycane

Depending on how big it is, a member of Pseudochromis (Flav or Frid) family or Thalassoma (most of them )wrasse family will eat it. Been there, dont that 30+ times.

fishy7

Thanks for the response. I am guessing this guy is about 1-2 inches long. Do you think a dotty will be able to catch and eat this guy? They look pretty small and innocent. :thinking:

candycane

HAHA!!!! You want one with like a spiked collar, a harley and leather fin chaps? Preferably that knows tae kwon do, Karate, Shi, and carries some sort of weapon? JUST VIOLENT!!!
Get a pinkface, banana or hardwicke

ukcats

I know an old lady who swallowed a spider...
to catch the fly....who wiggled and wiggled and tickled insider.... :hilarious
umm....sorry.

fishy7

Originally Posted by candycane
HAHA!!!! You want one with like a spiked collar, a harley and leather fin chaps? Preferably that knows tae kwon do, Karate, Shi, and carries some sort of weapon? JUST VIOLENT!!!
Get a pinkface, banana or hardwicke
Now that is the type I am looking for.
Of my inhabitants, which do you think I will have to remove?
A given: snails, hermits and shrimp.
I hope he knows what the heck a mantis is. if not then i will have to hang one on the side of the tank? :thinking:

mudplayerx

This is just my opinion, but I don't believe any fish is the answer to removing your mantis shrimp. Mantis shrimp have eyesight better than humans. Their predator-avoidance mechanisms outclass a fish on every level.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
predator-avoidance mechanisms
Dh'o...And to think I had to hire a divorce Attorney

candycane

I dont think it's about the defense or feeding mechanism of the shrimp. Or the eyesight. It seems far fetched, but the fish might somehow be immune or be able to avoid the attacks. I have never really studied mantis shrimp, so I don't know if they devlope their "hammer" later on or not. I just know that I have known several of people that had good success with those wrasses

Mantis shrimp always have their "Hammers" or "

[hr]
". What kinda trap did you try using? And no fish aren't "Immune" to mantis attacks. Avoiding may also be hard if they are attacking the mantis because the mantis have such a quick strike the fish may not be able to react. Depending on the size of the mantis shrimp he may be able to avoid the fish altogether. My suggestion would be to try to trap him and sell him to someone. I can give you the name of a site that people maybe purchase one from you if you do catch him.

sonnyg

ive got an undulated that owns a harley and a big pickup. some triggers will eat anything they can catch, but im not sure if the trigger will spend that much time on the shrimp, especially if there are other things around for him to munch on

ci11337

A niger trigger might work, the one I had in my reef didn't bug my corals or cleaner shrimp but his favorite passtime was peppermint hunting. You'd have to remove your other shrimp of course but a niger would be your best bet. But before you take the risk I'd try some other kinds of traps first.

ballance

Many mantis shrimp species, however maligned they may be, are actually quite harmless. Has it caused any problems? You may actually do more harm than good adding other livestock in hopes of killing it. I had a 2-3 inch mantis live in a small reef tank for 4 years, and it never troubled anything in the tank. Feeding it directly a few times weekly may have been a factor in protecting small hermits and snails.