White bug on fin of Mandarin dragonet?

mersam935

This morning I found a white long big beady eyes bug thing on the back fin of my mandarin dragonet... She looked perfectly fine and was acting normal but I didn't have enough time to catch her and get the parasite off. Then this afternoon I came home and it was gone and she looked perfectly fine. I'm really worried because I think it could of reproduced or something, but maybe her poisenous slime killed it? Or maybe my cleaner shrimp took it off? It looked like it was just sucking on it and had a tail like a shrimp... I really don't know what it could be and I don't have a picture. Hope you can help!

mersam935

O god... I just looked up what they are. Im so screwed. is there any way at all to kill them? Can you kill them any other way other than taking all the fish out and starving them? and if so how long do they need to be out for? Please some one help, they reproduce quickly and i feel like all my hard work is going to waste

geoj

From an article of Ronald L. Shimek
"The only way to rid an aquarium of these animals is to catch them all, which although tedious, is possible. Generally, this involves using a sacrificial fish, usually something easy to catch and moderately large. A yellow tang is a good choice for this because the fish's color pattern allows easy determination of the presence of the parasite. The other fish in the tank are collected and removed to a quarantine tank, and the "bait" fish is introduced. This fish is checked periodically and, if the parasites are seen on it, it is netted and removed to a flat surface where it may be immobilized with a wet paper towel. The parasite is removed with a pair of tweezers or forceps. The fish is then returned to the tank, and the procedure repeated. Often the parasites are nocturnal; consequently, the fish will have to be examined before the lights come on. The aquarium is probably free of the parasites if none are seen on the fish for a month or so after the last one has been collected."
Google it for the rest

mersam935

Ok well today there was bug on any of the fish... what does that mean? and do they just keep sucking blood and then leave the fish? because my mandarin is perfectly fine now..

gemmy

Is it possible that it could have been sand? I say this because you say you saw it in the morning and during the night many mandarins burrow in the sand.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
More information from Ron Shimek:
If you notice a cirolanid in your tank, and it leaves the fish, there is almost nothing that may be done to catch it. They are very fast, small, and quite capable of avoiding a net. And if it is a pregnant female (remember all isopods have brood pouches), and the brood hatches, you have REAL problems. There are only three courses of action in this situation; and I truly am not jesting about these responses. The first is to remove all the fish from the tank and wait the two or three months until you are certain that all the isopods have died from starvation. The second solution is to effectively nuke the tank. Remove all live rock and discard it as the isopods may hide in it, and as some of the isopods bury in the sand, you should also remove and discard the sand.
You may of course take the third option and do nothing. The most likely outcome in this situation will be that the isopods will kill your fish one by one. You may not even know they are attacking a fish until the fish is dead. Some years ago there were several large sharks that washed ashore in Florida. Examination showed that they were all killed by cirolanids that had burrowed into the shark and eaten their hearts.
Unfortunately, no easy solution. I would suggest setting up a hospital tank, and once this parasite latches on to a fish, then move that fish to the hospital immediately. You may luck out and only have one in there, but you will have to diligently watch all fish over the next several months and remove any that have the problem. In a bare bottom tank with PVC for decor, you may be able to remove the parasite if it drops off again while the fish is in hospital, if you're not up to picking it off.
Needless to say, you can't get any new fish until the situation is resolved. It may be wise to change stores where you purchase live rock and fish, since that is where the infection originated.
For a lot more information and various methods of dealing with this, type in "The Great Cirolanid Hunt"
into the GOOGLE search engine, then click on the first link.

mersam935

i am positive it was an isopod. But I just don't know what I can do now. i have a 10 gallon tank but will all those fish be ok for a few months?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, it won't. Maybe look at the link I showed you to get ideas on how to handle this.