White Bumps Blue Hippo Tang

do you recommend adding new fish to a qt tank with hypo or without doing hypo. now that i know not to add new fish directly to my display tank...

wattsupdoc

OH, we're neighbors!
Not exactly but pretty close!
I have not had any real power outages here. Even through last jan. ice storm. But i have a generator if needed.
And you?

I was out 12 days last Jan...purchased a generator then. And this last, only four hours...I was glad this time around, but we are prepared if it ever happens again.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sly65sally200
do you recommend adding new fish to a qt tank with hypo or without doing hypo. now that i know not to add new fish directly to my display tank...
It depends on the fish. If the fish is a tang or butterfly then it is best to hypo them. Most fish only need to be observed though.

wattsupdoc

personally, I know better than to trust QT alone. I allways treat every fish. Method depends on the fish.

so i going to get my 55 gallon gallon up and running. I know I don't have time to cycle it...so i am going to have to get some bacteria and amquel...Oh, I have to buy a heater too. Right now, I have the tang still in the 10 gallon...I'm just scared of a tank cycling with fish that have ich.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
personally, I know better than to trust QT alone. I allways treat every fish. Method depends on the fish.
It is a personal preferrence I guess. I don't realy see any harm with treating a visibly healthy fish as a precaution.

sepulatian

so i going to get my 55 gallon gallon up and running. I know I don't have time to cycle it...so i am going to have to get some bacteria and amquel...Oh, I have to buy a heater too. Right now, I have the tang still in the 10 gallon...I'm just scared of a tank cycling with fish that have ich.
The 55 will cycle as well. Add as much bacteria from the display as you can. Use the filter pads and add a cup or two of sand. You are going to hypo the remaining fish in the 55 and leave the tang in hypo in the ten gallon? What are your plans here?

Originally Posted by sepulatian
The 55 will cycle as well.
Yeah, i know the 55 is going to cycle-that's what i am scared of...cycling a 55 gallon with fish that have ich...do you have any suggestions, other than amquel and bacteria stuff, or if I do plenty of water changes Will i be fine? Thanks in advance

sepulatian

Yeah, i know the 55 is going to cycle-that's what i am scared of...cycling a 55 gallon with fish that have ich...do you have any suggestions, other than amquel and bacteria stuff, or if I do plenty of water changes Will i be fine? Thanks in advance
I added to the above post. Personally, I would cycle the 55 fully before moving the fish into it. Use a reef safe med to keep the ich off of the fish while you cycle. Ich is stressfull enough without spikes to go along with it. No matter how hard you try you will not be able to keep this water spike and stress free. Cycle the tank first.

I set up my 10 gallon a week ago...It is much easier to do water changes than my 55...I didn't realize I was going to have to treat the rest of my fish...I was told just to watch them. Then, someone above, told that the rest will carry ich, and as soon as I added my blue hippo tang back in the tank he would have it again. I can't put all my fish in the ten, so I have cycle the 55. My problem is I don't want my other fish to die before I get the 55 cycled. Is there meds that treat ich that are ivert and reef safe?

m0nk

I set up my 10 gallon a week ago...It is much easier to do water changes than my 55...I didn't realize I was going to have to treat the rest of my fish...I was told just to watch them. Then, someone above, told that the rest will carry ich, and as soon as I added my blue hippo tang back in the tank he would have it again. I can't put all my fish in the ten, so I have cycle the 55. My problem is I don't want my other fish to die before I get the 55 cycled. Is there meds that treat ich that are ivert and reef safe?
If you don't see ich on any of the fish in the DT at present then you have time to cycle the 55, imo. I wouldn't try using any medications on the DT yet, personally. If they start showing signs and the 55 isn't finished cycling, Kick-ich will help temporarily since it helps knock the parasite off of the fish, but since the eggs will still live in the sand it's not an actual cure. Again, I personally don't think you should use that, or any other product, unless you start seeing some real outbreaks in your DT. Setup the 55 and cycle it and you should be ok until it's done and can get the other fish in there.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by m0nk
If you don't see ich on any of the fish in the DT at present then you have time to cycle the 55, imo. I wouldn't try using any medications on the DT yet, personally. If they start showing signs and the 55 isn't finished cycling, Kick-ich will help temporarily since it helps knock the parasite off of the fish, but since the eggs will still live in the sand it's not an actual cure. Again, I personally don't think you should use that, or any other product, unless you start seeing some real outbreaks in your DT. Setup the 55 and cycle it and you should be ok until it's done and can get the other fish in there.
ditto.....
Also, if you have allready started hypo on the BH, then you will need to be careful as to not shock him when you transfer him. You will need to match the 55 with the current condition of the 10, transfer him, then pull some water from the DT, add the other fish in the 10. Then bring down sg to hypo. Once they have adjusted to the new SG, then, you can adjust theyre water in the 10 to match the 55. Then place in the 55. My point is, if you've allready started hypo, you have a delima. You cant really stop hypo, then restart it. It takes longer forthe fish, especially tangs, to adjust to raising the SG than it does lowering it. Be careful...... You'll be fine.

Hello again all, I looked in my tank this morning and my flame has ich all over his tail. Now what do I do? The DT definitely has ich.

m0nk

Hello again all, I looked in my tank this morning and my flame has ich all over his tail. Now what do I do? The DT definitely has ich.
Is your 55 cycling? As mentioned before, you can use something like Kick-ich to initially knock the ich off the fish in the DT, just follow the directions. As soon as your 55 is finished cycling you can move the fish into that (I'd leave the hippo where it's at) and start the hypo process.