white centipede looking worms

julie

I just noticed these worms that look like centipedes on the walls of my tank. What are they and how did I get them?

aarone

Probably bristle worms, beneficial to the sand bed. You want to keep these. Normally if you find iany kind of odd creature in your tank, it is beneficial. In SW you want as much diverse life as possible in your small "ecosystem"
HTH
Try and post a pic so we can verify the bristle worm.

julie

these are actually in a spare tank I have with crushed coral, would it be benifically to collect some and put them in my main tank, which is a 240 gallon with a sand bed?

aarone

definately if you can verify that they are bristle worms, dont touch though! i hear they have a nasty sting. Take one to the LFS (trusted) and have them verify. or just get a pic.:D

clarkiiboi

I have never seen my bristle worms on the glass or walls of the tank, personally. I always see them in the rocks, sandbed, or in a rock reaching to the sand bed. Also, never seen white ones, purple/pink with clear bristles (legs) here. I'll search for a pic of a bristle worm and post for you to compare it to. I dont think it will match up though, since you said yours are white and on the glass. Bumping ya to make sure what you have is safe to add and for an ID. Most likely it is, but better safe than sorry. :D