White Corraline?

kappadoku

Has anybody ever seen a white corraline algae?
In my newest tank, I mixed cured and uncured LR. The cured was covered with purple and green corraline, the uncured was bare rock. Now that the tank is maturing (8 weeks) the corraline has spread to the uncured, with large patches, about 6 inches across, sporadically. BUT, one of the uncured rocks is developing a pure white crust on one slope, with the coverage much like the purple corraline.
Additives? Started with DT's, switched to Mountain Coral's Velvet Green with rotifers.
Also add Weiss ReefVital DNA, and BacterVital. Also PH buffer and alkilinity buffer top-offs. All parametters are fine, 0 amm, 0 nitrItes, 5-10 nitrAtes, PH 8.3-4.
All corals and fish and critters are fine. Dont seem to pay any attention to the new white patches.
??????????

b_ball12_99

Always the option of it being normal. Commonly is due to it changing from one type (color) to another. Also could be dead.

tnreef

The different colors of coralline are just differnt types. The intensity of your lighting will help on what type is dominant. I have found that the white is the most easyist to grow. Intense light and good Ca levels will bring out the other colors.
IMO Darryl

I could have sworn white spots on your live rock meant that the coralline algae was dying. I used to have some live rock that was totally covered with pink and purple coralline algae and then I had to transfer it to a newly established tank. The pink and purple algae started to turn white and it looked like it was dying off. Somebody told me it was because my calcium levels in the new tank were low. I could be wrong though.

@knight

the white coraline i am referring to is a much brighter white and is growing. it is obviously alive. i have a fowlr tank and my lighting isnt great. but ive seen coraline die like that and it has a different look and feel.

kappadoku

Its not the fact that the purple and green are dying, its NEW patches of white on a previously uncovered rock. There are also new patches of purple and green on the same rock.