white faced tang with black ich

aidos

I have read the stickies on disease....and i just wanted to ask this quick question will hyposalinity cure BLACK ICH or are Formalin Baths the only treatment that will work.
cheers guys

aidos

yeah i know that the formalin baths will work but i would like to know if i can use hyposalinity to treat the black ich. im more comfortable in the hypo method as i dont always have free time to do formalin baths and it also relieves stress from the inhabitants.
cheers :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Formalin bath is the only effective treatment. Just as persribed in the FAQ Thread.

aidos

thanks beth
btw i have fungus-aid....a wardley product can i use that?
it has malachite green 1mg/ml
formaldehyde solution 1mg/ml
dehydroabietylamine acetate 0.24mg/ml
and acriflavine 1mg/ml
its a 125 ml bottle...is this approprate to use in a dipping/bath method?
if so would i still use 20 drops for each gallon of water or will i need a higher or lower dosage?
thanks heeps beth :happyfish

aidos

Also beth the white faced tang has white spot so im still gonna treat him with hyposalinty for that, so my question is, is the Fungus-aid ok to be used in hyposaline water and do i have to use water from the aquarium. it is only 2 foot, and doent have heeps of water to spare....can i mix up and new batch and just match the salinity and pH?? also wats the minimum alot of water u would use to dip this fish in, it is about 3-4 inches.
i know thats alot of questions and im beenin a pain but thanks 4 all ur help!!! :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The formaldehyde isn't enough in that product. You can't find formalin?
Are you setting up a QT to do the hyposalinity?

aidos

yeah i have setup a QT tank and hes in there now, i have slowly started to change the salinity. i have never heard of fromalin and i work at my LFS but i can do a search and hopefully get lucky. wat mg/ml measurement am i after for formaldehyde? is it possible to double the dossage, say 40 drops to each gallons? im just not sure about the affects of the other solutions?
cheers beth :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can try it. Formalin may be hard to acquire. Look for it online. The bath procedure is located in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum.

carshark

Originally Posted by Beth
Formalin bath is the only effective treatment. Just as persribed in the FAQ Thread.
umm real quick...my 6 inch yellow tang had black ick pretty bad one morning, i did a 3 minute RO water dip and the black ick pretty much jumped off almost.....it was gone inside a day.. maybe i got lucky errr?

aidos

Beth,
2day i got a product called "rapid white spot remedy" by aqua master (for freshwater tanks), it is 37mg/ml of formaldehyde and 0.32mg/ml of malachite green. i hope this is wat i was ment to get, got it from work and my boss said it was the same stuff.
i did a 35 min bath this evening during which the tangs breathing increased but was not rapid, after he was relased back in to QT he was fine and active, feeding straight away (he is a pig in the first place). he is still covered in black ich though...how many treatments will it take to see an effect on the black ich.
thanks for ya time Beth :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that should work. Formaldehyde, the active ingredient, depletes O2 is water so be sure to really use a good airstone or 2 .
Take a look at the formalin bath procedure in the FAQ thread at top of this forum....it is all spelled out there.